I believe U.S. researchers are prohibited from working with certain countries. How do I know what countries I can work with?

The University compiles a list of High Risk Countries from a number of sources, including the University of Colorado Systems Risk Management, the Department of State, the Department of Treasury, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The FBI has stated that US travelers are priority targets for cyber-attack and monitoring/surveillance, particularly if they are known to be engaged in classified or proprietary research in a STEM field (science, technology, engineering or mathematics). CU Boulder's High Risk Country Guidance provides more details and resources. 

CU Boulder encourages innovation, scholarship and research that lead to commercial and consulting activities and global engagement, but such activities have the potential to lead to conflicts of interest and commitment. How can I manage such risks?

You can learn about potential conflicts of interest and commitment, your responsibilities, required disclosures and how to manage these risks by visiting CU Boulder's Conflicts of Interest & Commitment website. Key resources there include a full set of related Frequently Asked Questions and direct access to required disclosure information.

I am traveling abroad as a university employee. What do I need to know about export and sanction regulations?

The Office of Research Integrity and Export Controls (ORI-EC) can assist with export and sanction determinations related to your international travel. You can find helpful information concerning international travel procedures and best practices on the Export Controls website.  

If you have any other questions pertaining to international travel, please contact Linda Morris at exportcontrolhelp@colorado.edu or 303-492-2889.