The Internet Explorer browser is now redirecting users to Microsoft Edge. Here’s how to access FAMIS using Microsoft Edge Browser in “IE mode”
Many of us have been using Internet Explorer (IE) every day to access FAMIS, but recently users attempting to use IE have been automatically redirected to the Microsoft Edge browser.
For our FAMIS users, we have found a way to use the Microsoft Edge browser to access FAMIS, but you have to configure the browser to work in “IE mode.” A self-help document with step-by-step instructions and screenshots can be found here. Here is the process:
- Click on the START Window in the bottom left corner of your computer.
- Find and open the Microsoft Edge Browser on your computer.
- Go to the upper right-hand corner and click the 3 dots.
- This will open up a drop-down menu and you will find and click on Settings.
- On the left-hand side click on the link for "Default Browser."
- On the line "Let Internet Explorer open sites in Microsoft Edge" and drop down to "Incompatible Sites Only (Recommended)."
- On the line "Allow sites to be reloaded in Internet Explorer mode (IE mode)" and drop down to "Allow."
- On the line "Internet Explorer mode pages" click the "add" button.
- Copy and paste this link into the pop-up box: https://famis.colorado.edu:4444/forms/frmservlet
- Hit the “ADD” button. You’ll notice this site is allowed to be loaded in “IE mode” ONLY for 30 days. Once 30 days has passed, you’ll see a pop up which asks, “The IE mode exception for this webpage has expired; do you want to re-add it?” (yes or no). Click YES. You’ll have to repeat this step every 30 days until we migrate away from FAMIS.
- Hit the blue RESTART button.
- Paste this link into the Edge navigation bar: https://www.colorado.edu/fm/internal
- At the top, add this page as a browser “favorite” so it's easier to find the link to get to FAMIS.
- Click the FAMIS button; you will need to login with your credentials as Edge has not cached your login.
If FAMIS still doesn’t load correctly:
15. Go back to the three dots and scroll down to the Settings option.
16. Click on the Appearance option on the left side.
17. Scroll down to the buttons area and turn on the “internet Explorer mode (IE mode) button
18. Navigate back to the FAMIS sign-on webpage and click on the “Reload Tab in Internet Explorer” mode icon in the upper right-hand corner of your browser
19. When you see the “This page is open in Internet Explorer mode” pop-up screen, select the “Open this page in Internet Explorer mode next time” option then click “Done”
If you are currently using Internet Explorer to browse the web or to access other systems, we recommend that you start using the Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Microsoft Edge browsers. These browsers are already installed on your computer. If you need help finding them, please contact I&S IT at firstname.lastname@example.org or submit a request for service (requires VPN or access from the CU network).
As always if you have questions feel free to reach out to any of the I&S IT staff if you have questions.
I&S Information Technology
Client Representative Supervisor
Infrastructure & Sustainability