Fiske is closed in order to slow the spread of the COVID-19 virus in the hopes of keeping our visitors, members, staff, campus, and our broader community safe. We have never felt more connected to our community despite the need for social distancing. Until we can come together again, we are committed to providing tons of content to help you get through these arduous times through the grandeur of the universe. Check this page to get your Astronomy Fix!
More Astronomy Resources
Enjoy our favorite astronomy-related websites for up-to-date information on what’s up in the sky, NASA news, beautiful astronomy images, eclipses, satellites, plus more.
- Astronomy magazine - The Sky this Week
- Astronomy Picture of the Day - Each day a different image or photograph of our fascinating universe
- Heavens-Above - Information about artificial satellites, ISS, HST, and Iridium flares
- International Dark Sky Association - Videos about Light Pollution
- NASA - News and mission information
- NASA - eClips: Bringing STEM alive through NASA real-world connections and a Special Edition newsletter for Earth Day
- NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory videos - What’s Up, Mars Report, etc.
- NASA Eclipse Information - Eclipses of the Sun and Moon
- Sky & Telescope magazine - This Week’s Sky at a Glance
Learn about light pollution
You can learn more about light pollution and how you can help save our starry skies watch "Losing the Dark" from the International Dark Sky Association and Loch Ness Productions. Starry skies are a vanishing treasure because light pollution is washing away our view of the cosmos. It not only threatens astronomy but also disrupts wildlife, and affects human health. The glows over cities and towns — seen so clearly from space — are testament to the billions of dollars spent in wasted energy by lighting up the sky. The video introduces and illustrates some of the issues regarding light pollution and suggests three simple actions people can take to help mitigate it.
To learn more about local efforts to mitigate light pollution check out the Homeowner's Guide to Boulder's Outdoor Lighting Ordinance.