You must currently be enrolled in a College of Media, Communication and Information courses or declared a student or connected to the college as a faculty, lecturer, or staff to access The Vault, creative spaces, and computer labs.
Each course has different gear requirements and therefore has access to specific items in Checkout. Check with your professor if you have questions on what cameras are available to your class. All CMCI students, staff, and faculty can always access the “general checkout” equipment at the Armory Vault.
All equipment is subject to availability, and it is encouraged to plan ahead and make reservations. For many classes, we have limited resources. Please keep this in mind with making reservations and when planning for your projects.
Fall 2021 Procedures
- This semester, checkouts can be completed by walk-up transactions, or students can reserve their gear online using the Patron Portal, the online reservations, and their IdentiKey. Reservations are highly encouraged.
- If you have problems logging in to the Patron Portal, please contact the Armory Vault or Emilie for assistance.
- For a step-by-step guide on checking out equipment from The Vault, please visit the Getting Gear document in our Manual section.
- Reservation pick-up times are subject to change to help ensure social distancing mandates. Staggered pick-up times will avoid long queues.
- If you complete a walk-up checkout, please allow time to stand in line and for the Vault to pack your equipment. Equipment
- If the student misses their pick-up time, they will bump them to the next available pick-up time.
- Students have only one hour before their reservation is canceled automatically. For example, if the pick-up time is 10:30, the system automatically cancels the reservation at 11:30. Should the student arrive at 11:31, they will need to set up a new reservation.
- The standard checkout period is two business days.
- Late fee procedures remain the same from past semesters. Late fees can accrue up to the moment a renewal has been fully completed.
Renewing Equipment- requests to renew equipment at The Vault are accepted in-person or sent via email to the Armory Vault.
- Students are limited to ONLY one renewal per checkout before they must return the equipment. This is to ensure all students have the chance to use the gear to complete their assignments.
- Renewal requests are conducted ONLY through email or in-person. No phone calls, please. Emails will only be received and responded to during business hours. These hours are Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. We try to respond as soon as possible in the order that emails are received. Please plan accordingly should there be delays in our response time.
- Sending a renewal request email does not guarantee renewal. If another student has reserved the gear you're trying to renew, we will not be able to accommodate your request and need the equipment back at its initially scheduled return time.
- If you complete the renewal in person, you must have all the equipment with you. If we cannot accommodate the renewal request because of another reservation, we will need to return the gear at its initially scheduled time. It is in your best interest and will save you a trip, to bring the equipment with you.
- The cutoff time to submit an email request for a renewal is 30 minutes before the equipment's scheduled return time. After the cutoff time, you will need to complete the renewal in person and bring all the equipment with you.
- If your gear is past due, the gear is late and late fees will apply. If you request a renewal after the gear is late, late fees will accumulate until a renewal is fully completed.
- A renewal is fully complete when The Vault receives the newly updated checkout agreement forms, reflecting the new return date and time, initialed and signed by the students.
Guidelines and Procedures
All gear is reserved for University course work first. You may not use the equipment to make money or for an internship. Internships must provide you with production equipment if they are truly a production-qualifying internship.
You must have a current registration form on file before proceeding. If you do not, you must complete the Checkout Agreement Policy Form.
Allow time to inspect the equipment when checking out and returning items properly. Returns are not completed until all items are inspected and verified.
Notify Checkout personnel and equipment room manager promptly of any damaged items. You are responsible for all damages, so inspect items thoroughly before signing the form and leaving Checkout. You will be held accountable for any damaged equipment you may find after you leave the building, even if you didn't cause the damage. By signing and leaving, you take responsibility.
Equipment privileges could be suspended if there is a history of late fines in one semester or if there is evidence of neglect/misuse of the equipment. The suspension can range from two weeks to a full semester periods depending on the situation.
There are penalties and fees associated with the rules. Deviating from them will result in fines.