Peer Leader - Fall 2019 Semester
The Peer Leader will assist students enrolled in FYXP 1000, Academic Exploration & Critical Decision Making, with their transition to CU by participating weekly in the course and by being a resource students can utilize for questions and concerns. The Peer will also assist the instructor by leading and participating in class activities and discussions.
- Attend each class period.
- Assist the instructor with in-class activities and actively participate.
- Participate in class discussions in order to provide a CU continuing student perspective on course content.
- Be a resource to students enrolled in the course.
- Provide a weekly check-in with students enrolled in the course via email, social media or text to ensure satisfaction with CU and be a resource for questions and concerns.
- Lead activities and/or discussions
- Teach a class period (possibility - not required)
- Meet weekly with course instructor to debrief past activities as well as plan future class sessions.
Period of appointment: Fall 2019 semester - Peer Leaders must have time available in their Fall 2019 schedule during a FYXP 1000 section (see below for specific days/times).
Hours per week: 2 hours/week (1 hour of class time and 1 hour of prep time)
Compensation: Hourly wage of $12 per hour. Both work-study and non-work-study positions available.
Application and deadline: Please email Maria.Spoon@colorado.edu with your resume and cover letter as soon as possible. Please address the questions below in your cover letter.
- Why do you want to be a Peer Leader?
- What characteristics and experiences do you have that you believe will help you be a successful Peer Leader?
- Describe your major & career exploration journey. What do you think are some of the challenges students face during this process?
Additionally, please indicate in your cover letter your availability during Fall 2019 as it relates to the following days/times that FYXP 1000 is offered.
- Tuesdays, 2:00 - 2:50pm
- Wednesday, 9:00 - 9:50am
- Thursdays, 9:30 - 10:20am
- Thursdays, 3:30 - 4:20pm
The University of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, pregnancy, disability, creed, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, political affiliation, or political philosophy. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.