Department: Environmental Studies, The Sustainability Innovation Lab at Colorado (SILC)
Education: B.A. Summa Cum Laude. Environmental Biology, University of Colorado at Boulder (1993), Ph.D. Department of Biological Sciences, Stanford University (1999)
Teaching: ENVS 1000 Introduction to environmental studies
Office: SEEC N290
Honors and Distinctions:
- 2017 - College Scholars Award, College of Arts and Sciences, CU Boulder
- 2013 - University of Colorado System - Excellence in Leadership Program Fellow
- 2008 - Interdisciplinary Teaching and Residence Life Teaching Award
- 2004-2006 - A.W. Mellon Foundation, Conservation and Environment Jr Faculty Fellow
- 2001-2002 - U.S. Geological Survey - Mendenhall Postdoctoral Fellow
- 1997-1999 - NASA Earth System Science Pre-Doctoral Fellow
- 1994-1997 - National Science Foundation Pre-Doctoral Fellow
- 1992 - Phi Beta Kappa, University of Colorado at Boulder
- Bae JH, Han J, Lee D, Yang JE, Kim J, Lim KJ, Neff JC, Jang WS*. 2019 "Evaluation of Sediment Trapping Efficiency of Vegetative Filter Strips Using Machine Learning Models." Sustainability. 11 (24) .
- JT Crawford*, ELS Hinckley, MI Litaor, J Brahney, JC Neff. 2019. Evidence for accelerated weathering and sulfate export in high alpine environments. Environmental Research Letters 14 (12), 124092
- JE Herrick, J Neff, A Quandt, S Salley, J Maynard, A Ganguli Prioritizing land for investments based on short-and long-term land potential and degradation risk: A strategic approach. 2019.
- Environmental science & policy 96, 52-58
- J Brahney, AP Ballantyne, M Vandergoes, T Baisden, JC Neff. 2019. Increased Dust Deposition in New Zealand Related to Twentieth Century Australian Land Use. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences 124 (5), 1181-1193
- WS Jang*, Y Lee, JC Neff, Y Im, S Ha, L Doro. 2019. Development of an EPIC parallel computing framework to facilitate regional/global gridded crop modeling with multiple scenarios: A case study of the United States. Computers and electronics in agriculture 158, 189-200
- KF Wentz, JC Neff, KN Suding. 2019. Leaf temperatures mediate alpine plant communities’ response to a simulated extended summer. Ecology and evolution 9 (3), 1227-1243
- K.C. Kelsey, M.D. Redmond, N.N. Barger, J.C. Neff. 2018. Species, climate and landscape physiography drive variable growth trends in subalpine forests. Ecosystems 21(1), 125-140.
- N.M. Mahowald, R. Scanza, J. Brahney, C.L. Goodale, P.G. Hess, J.K. Moore, J. Neff. 2017. Aerosol deposition impacts on land and ocean carbon cycles. Current Climate Change Reports. 3(1):16-31
- Lu*, X., K.C. Kelsey, S. Jian, X. Zhang, H. Zhao, Y. Cai, X. Wang, G. Cheng, & J.C. Neff. 2017. Effects of livestock grazing on ecosystem structure and function of alpine grasslands in Qinghai–Tibetan Plateau: a synthesis and review. Ecosphere.