Department: Civil, Environmental, and Architectural Engineering
Education: Ph.D. Pennsylvania State University, 2008
Teaching: CVEN 4484 / 5484 Introduction to Environmental Microbiology, CVEN 5834 Energy and Bioresource Recovery
Research: bioenergy and resource recovery, biological treatment processes, microbial fuel cells, oil/gas water management, water desalination
Honors and Distinctions:
- 2017 Nanova/CAPEES Frontier in Research Award
- 2017 The Michael Kavanaugh’s Best Podium Award in AEESP2017
- 2017 Research Development Award, Department of Civil, Environmental, Architectural Engineering
- 2016 Distinguished Service Award, Chinese-American Professor Association in Environmental Engineering and Science
- 2015 New Inventor of the Year Award, University of Colorado Technology Transfer Office
- 2015 Research Development Award, Department of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering
- 2014 (Faculty Advisor) 1st place in NSF Arlington I-Corps program review (Forrestal)
- 2014 (Faculty Advisor) 2nd place award on oral presentation at NA-ISMET conference (Haeger)
- 2013 (Faculty Advisor) Graduate School Outstanding Ph.D Dissertation Award (Wang)
- 2013 (Faculty Advisor) Civil Engineering Department Outstanding Graduate Award (Wang)
- 2012 Excellence in Review Award, Environmental Science & Technology (ES&T)
- 2012 University Award for Excellence in Research and Creative Work, UCD
- 2012 Outstanding Faculty in Research Award, College of Engineering and Applied Science, UCD
- 2012 Chang Junior Faculty Achievement Award, College of Engineering and Applied Science, UCD
- 2012 (Faculty Advisor) DOE New Venture Challenge Competition 2nd Place Award (Forrestal)
- 2010 (Faculty co-advisor) Student Award for Excellence in Research and Creative Activities (Rhodes)
- 2007 Student Research Award, Pennsylvania Water Environment Association (PWEA)
- 2007 Student Research Travel Grant Award, American Society of Microbiology (ASM)
- 2007 Summer Fellowship, Center for Environmental Chemistry and Geochemistry, PSU-NSF
Recent Publications with graduate students:
** indicates graduate student
- Lu, L**., Huang, Z**., Rau, G., Ren, ZJ Microbial Electrolytic Carbon Capture for Carbon Negative and Energy Positive Wastewater Treatment. Environmental Science & Technology, 2015, 49, 8193-8201
- Wang, H**., Luo, H., Fallgren, P., Jin, S., Ren, ZJ. Bioelectrochemical Platform for Sustainable Environmental Remediation and Energy Generation. Biotechnology Advances, 2015, 33, 317-334.
- Wang, H**., Park, J., Ren, ZJ. Practical Energy Harvesting from Microbial Fuel Cells: A review, 2014, Environmental Science & Technology, 2015, 49, 3267-3277.
- Lobo, FL**., Wang, H**., Forrestal., Ren, ZJ AC Power Generation from Microbial Fuel Cells. Journal of Power Sources, 2015, 297, 252-259.
- Lu, L.**, Xing, D., Ren, ZJ Microbial Community Structure Accompanied with Electricity Production in A Constructed Wetland Plant Microbial Fuel Cell. Bioresource Technology, 2015, 195, 115-121.
- Forrestal, C**., Stoll, Z**., Xu, P., and Ren, ZJ. Microbial Capacitive Desalination for Integrated Organic and Salt Removal and Energy Production from Unconventional Natural Gas Produced Water. Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 2015, 1, 47-55.
- Yazdi, H**., Alzate-Gaviria, L., Ren, ZJ. Pluggable microbial fuel cell stacks for septic wastewater treatment and electricity production. Bioresource Technology, 2015, 180, 258-263.
- Lu, L**., Huggins, T., Jin, S., Zuo, Y., Ren, ZJ. Microbial Metabolism and Community Structure in Response to Bioelectrochemically Enhanced Remediation of Petroleum Hydrocarbon-contaminated Soil. Environmental Science & Technology, 2014, 48, 4021-4029.
- Huggins, T**., Wang, H**., Kearns, J**., Jenkins, P., Ren, ZJ. Biochar as a Sustainable Electrode Material for Electricity Production in Microbial Fuel Cells, Bioresource Technology, 2014, 157, 114-119.
- Wang, H**., and Ren, ZJ. Bioelectrochemical metal recovery from wastewater: A review. Water Research, 2014, 66, 219-232.