Department: Aerospace Engineering Science
Education: B.S., Brigham Young U. (1971), Ph.D., U. Hawaii (1975)
Teaching: ASEN 4337 Remote Sensing Data Analysis, ASEN 4215 Oceanography, ASEN 5168 Remote Sensing Instrument
Research: Satellite Remote Sensing of Oceans, Vegetation and Urban Studies
Office: ECNT 220
Honors and Distinctions:
- Fellow of the American Geophysical Union, 2012
- Fellow American Astronautical Society, 2011
- CU Engineering Deans Faculty Fellowship 2011
- Fellow American Meteorological Society Fellow, 2009
- Boulder Faculty Assembly Excellence in Research Award, 2009
- IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society Outstanding Service Award 2009
- IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society Education Award 2004
- IEEE Fellow (2002)
- CU Engineering College Research Excellence Award, 2001
- IEEE/GRS Outstanding Reviewer Award (1998)
- Visiting Fellow of the Australian Earth Observation Center (EOC) (1997-98)
- NASA Group Achievement Award, TOPEX/Poseidon Verification Team (1996)
- GFSC Group Achievement Award for GSFC DAAC (1995)
- GSFC Group Achievement Award, EOSDIS V0 (1995)
- Distinguished Lecturer Award, Inst. Indus. Sci, Univ. of Tokyo (1995)
- Editor's Citation for Excellence in Refereeing, J. Geophys. Res. (1993)
- Associate Fellow, American Institute of Astronautics and Aeronautics (1990)
- NASA/JPL TOPEX Team Award (1980-85)
Recent Publications with graduate students:
** indicates graduate student
- **Longbothan, N., C. Bleiler, C. Chaapel, D. Padwick, W.J. Emery, **F. Pacifici, 2012: Urban classification of a WorldView-2 multi-angle equence, Trans. Geosci. Rem. Sens., 50, 4, 1155 – 1170.
- **Lettang, F.J., R.I. Crocker, W.J. Emery, J.A. Maslanik, 2013: Estimating the extent of drained supraglacial lakes. Int. J. Rem. Sens. 34, 4754-4768.
- ** Pasolli, E., F. Melgani, D. Tuia, **F. Pacifici, W.J. Emery, 2013: SVM Active learning approach for image classification using spatial information. Trans. Geosci. Rem. Sens., 52, 2217-2233.
- **Tseng, K-H, C.K. Shum, Y. Yuchan, W.J. Emery, C.Y. Kuo, H. Lee and J. Wang, 2014: The improved retrieval of coastal sea surface heights by retracking modified radar altimetry waveforms. Trans. Geosci. Rem. Sens. 52, 10.1109/TGRS.2013.2246572.
- **Roesler, C.J., W.J. Emery and S.Y. Kim, 2013: Evaluating the use of high-frequency radar coastal current to correct satellite altimetry. J. Geophys. Res., 118, DOI: 10.1002/jgrc.20220.
- **Qazi, W., W.J. Emery and B. Fox-Kemper, 2014: Computing ocean surface currents over the coastal California Current System using 30-minute lag sequential SAR images. Trans. Geosci. Rem. Sens., 10.1109/TGRS.2014.2314117
- **Pacifici, F., **N. Longbotham and W.J. Emery, 2014: The importance of physical quantities for the analysis of multi-temporal and multi- angular optical very high spatial resolution images. Trans. Geosci. Rem. Sens. 10.1109/TGRS.2014.2314117
- **Longbotham, N. G. Matasci, C. Chaapel, D. Tuia, **F. Pacifici, and W.J. Emery, 2014: In-track multi-angle simplication of multispectral model portability in very-high resolution imagery. Submitted to Trans. Geosci. Rem. Sens.
- Emery, W.J., W. Good, **W. Tandy, M. Izaguirre and P. Minnett, 2014: A microbolometer airborne calibrated infrared radiometer: the Ball Experimental Sea Surface Temperature (BESST) radiometer. Trans. Geosci. Rem. Sens., 10.1109/TGRS.2014.2318683
- Long, Yi, H.C. Li, T. Celik, **N. Longbotham, W.J. Emery, 2015: Pairwise Distance Analysis Driven Dimensionality Reduction Model with Double. Mappings for Hyperspectral Image Visualization, Rem Sensing, 7, (6), 7785-7808.
- **Yi, Long, Heng-Chao Li, T. Celik, **N. Longbotham, and W.J. Emery, 2015: Pairwise-Distance Analysis-Driven Dimensionality Reduction Model with Double. Mappings for Hyperspectral Image Visualization. Remote Sensing, open access. http://www.mdpi.com/2072-4292/7/6/7785.