The 17-20 credit Pre-Medical Concentration is designed for students intending to apply to medical school after completion of their undergraduate engineering degree. Medical school admission requirements vary from school to school; however, most medical schools will expect you to have taken the Medical College Admission Test® (MCAT®) and to have completed a set of prerequisite courses. All e+ Pre-medical Concentration courses require a minimum grade of C.
In addition to excelling in your coursework, it is essential to spend time with patients and become familiar with the role of a physician. Clinical experiences may be paid or volunteer, and should involve you working directly with patients.
Most medical schools require a C or above in all prerequisites. As these courses will be tested on the MCAT, if you earn a C or C+ in a pre-requisite course, you may want to repeat that course to master the material.
Check the requirements at the medical schools you are interested in applying to, as some will not accept AP or IB credit to meet course prerequisites. If this is the case, and if you have AP or IB credit for any of the prerequisites, consider retaking the courses during college.
The following courses meet most medical school admission requirements: one year of human biology (with labs); one year of general physics (with lab); one year of English literature/composition; one year of general chemistry (with lab); one year of organic chemistry (with labs); and two courses in college mathematics. The MCAT also tests biochemistry, statistics, psychology and sociology content.
Below are the credit hours required for students who choose the Pre-Medical Concentration:
- Intro to Cellular & Molecular Biology (MCDB 1150)* 3 credits
- Biology Lab - Choose 1 (EBIO 1230 or MCDB 1161 or MCDB 1171)* 1-2 credits
- Principle of Genetics (MCDB 2150)* 3 credits
- Genetics Lab - Choose 1 (MCDB 2161 or MCDB 2171)* 1-2 credits
- Organic Chemistry 1 w/ lab (CHEM 3311/3321)* 5 credits
- Organic Chemistry 2 w/ lab (CHEM 3331/3341)* 5 credits
- Survey of Biochemistry (CHEM 4611)* 3 credits
*Content tested on the MCAT
- 17-20 credits
Note: Beginning with the incoming class of Fall 2016, all courses in each e+ Concentration requires a minimum grade of C.
Other courses you may find of interest:
- General Psychology (PSYC 1001)**
- Intro to Sociology (SOCY 1001)**
- Intro to Human Anatomy (IPHY 3410)
- Intro to Human Physiology (IPHY 3430 )
**Also counts as H&SS credit in the College of Engineering and Applied Science
Pre-med helpful resources: