Published: May 1, 2018

e+ student, Erik StolzErik is our e+ Student Spotlight for May! Read about how Erik is owning his plus by solving real-world problems through hands-on design. Also, read about his experiences in our pilot course, Engineering Mathematics!

Hi Erik!
What is your current e+ Emphasis and Concentration?

My current e+ Emphasis is Aerospace and I am deciding between a Concentration in Business or the TAM program.

Why did you choose e+?
I chose Engineering Plus because of the amazing versatility it offers to my major. I have many interests and passions beyond engineering and e+ allows me to pursue those passions as well as my love for engineering. Additionally, each fall semester you get to do a projects course related to your studies which I think is amazing because I love hands on learning.

What do you want to do after graduation?
After graduation I plan to work for either Lockheed Martin or SpaceX and help humanity reach Mars.

What will you be doing this summer?
During the summer I plan to work and take summer courses. On the weekends and holidays, I will be in the mountains as much as I possibly can. We live in such a beautiful state and I love spending my time enjoying the outdoors.

You were in the pilot course of Engineering Mathematics. How did you like it? Do you think it will help you in your future engineering courses? Would you recommend the course for future e+ students?
Engineering Math was my favorite class last semester. Professor Tsai taught an amazing course that made me really excited for what the future holds in my engineering education here at CU Boulder. Every day we learned about a new way math can be applied to real world engineering problems. The labs were very hands on but really solidified my understanding of using mathematics to solve very real problems. The course is very fun and engaging. The TA’s are phenomenal and very dedicated to their student’s success and understanding of the material. I would highly recommend all e+ students take this class.

What advice would you give to a potential Engineering Plus student?
CU Boulder is an amazing school full of opportunity to learn. Don’t be afraid to get out there and ask questions! Also, your professors and TA’s are there to help you. It is their job to teach and make sure you understand the material so don’t be afraid to ask if you don’t know. It is okay, we are here to learn!

Is there anything else you’d like to share?
All of the Engineering Plus professors and faculty are absolutely phenomenal people! They really care about their students and want you to succeed. Engineering Plus gives you a community you don’t get in other engineering departments.