My name is Sophia Katsikas, a half-Greek born fish that was raised amongst the Kalo stems on the Hawaiian island of Maui. I am a creative writer and cultural anthropologist, whose jade glowing currents stretch like taffy between my home in Hawai’i and my present life in the mainland.

I graduated from CU in 2017 with a bachelor’s degree in Arts & Sciences. I double majored in Anthropology and English, with an emphasis on creative writing and cultural anthropology.

My first internship (ever) was with the Dairy Arts Center in Boulder, Colorado. The Dairy is Boulder’s largest art center and caters to numerous art disciplines. I worked on everything from events and fundraisers, re-writing and researching grants & narratives, to creating newsletters and thank you letters. The programs offered at the Dairy vary from preforming music and dance, to ever-changing visual art exhibits. Who knew an arts center could provide such diverse programs? I definitely didn’t know, until I started my internship. My favorite program is the inspiring Kids at the Dairy. This program works with Title-I schools to bring the arts back into children’s lives, at no cost to the students or their schools. Overhearing the kids says things like “I wish I could live at the Dairy!” and seeing their wild-eyed expressions could make anyone’s day. These youth are provided with an arts experience that is becoming increasingly rare in today’s world. I was lucky enough to be raised in a place where the arts are held in equivalence to school subjects like Math and Science. Thus, the Dairy felt like home to me and I was perpetually nostalgic.

As my internship came to a close, I was offered a full-time position as the Dairy’s new Development Coordinator. I never dreamed that development coordinating could be in my future, but here I am. With the help of CU’s English department, paired with the Dairy internship, I was able to graduate college with a full-time job that I absolutely adore. For me, this internship helped break the stereotypes that are attached to being an English major. Majoring in English is not restricting or confining. Our career choices are not limited to teachers or professors, or becoming the next J.K Rowling (although all three of those possibilities are quite tempting).

I’d like to shout out a massive mahalo nui loa to the Dairy Arts Center and CU Boulder’s English department, for consistently urging me to achieve my full potential. I am ecstatic for my future at the Dairy, where I will combine my upbringing in Hawaiian culture and my experience at CU into a life-long career