Other Nine-Month Faculty (Instructors, Senior Instructors, Teaching Professors, Scholars in Residence, Artists in Residence and Clinical Faculty)
Information regarding Administrative Policy Statement 5019 – Parental Leave for Faculty and University Staff can be found at the Office of Policy Efficiency website. Furthermore, additional information can be found on the Office of Faculty Affairs website.
- Non-Tenure Track Nine-Month Faculty receive 18 weeks of parental leave.
- The Boulder campus will provide the first six weeks of paid parental, prorated for percent of time if appointment is less than 100%, to eligible employees.
- This policy applies to instructors at 50% (.50 FTE) and above.
- Employee will use accrued sick leave following paid parental leave.
- If the faculty member exhausts all paid parental leave and sick leave before the end of an eighteen week period, the faculty member may continue the leave for the remainder of the period at 50% pay with full benefits.
- This policy does not apply to Lecturers or any other job classification not listed above.
- All other terms and conditions for eligibility, definitions, and usage of the APS 5019 remain unchanged.
Procedures for Requesting Parental Leave
Faculty members applying for Parental Leave should do the following:
- Contact the FMLA coordinators at email@example.com to initiate the application process for Family Medical Leave Act coverage. The FMLA coordinators will guide the faculty member on all documentation required for FMLA coverage (if applicable).
- Additional information on the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) can be found on the Human Relations website.
- Contact CEAS HR for a calculation of sick leave accrual balance if applicable.
- Upon official FMLA designation (if applicable) by the FMLA coordinators, faculty member should complete the formal Request for Parental Leave – Instructor Track form and send to their chair/director.
- Chair/Director reviews and approves the Request for Parental Leave and forwards the request to the Faculty Affairs Coordinator via DocuSign.
- Chair/Director reviews and approves the Request for Parental Leave and forwards the request to the unit HR Liaison and CEAS HR.
- CEAS HR reviews the request, completes the sick leave accrual balance section (if applicable), and submits to the Dean for signature via DocuSign.
- Once the Dean signs the Request for Parental Leave, the form is forwarded to the Office of Faculty Affairs for signature.
- Upon return, a copy of the final, approved request is submitted by CEAS HR to the unit HR Liaison, HR Service Center, FMLA team, and CEAS Director of Budget and Finance.
- Unit HR Liaison saves a copy to personnel file, forwards a copy to the faculty member, and works with the HR Service Center.
- CEAS HR updates tracking sheets as applicable.