Has your bike been Impounded?
We impound bikes when:
- The bike appears to have been abandoned for some time.
- We need to remove a bike rack for construction or other reason.
- The bike was locked to a railing, tree, lamppost, etc. *Bikes must be locked to designated bike racks.
Check your email and voicemail, as we attempt to contact the owner of a registered bike before impounding it. A bike is flagged for a week (sometimes weeks) before being impounded, the exception being when the bike is locked to ADA handrails or gates that need to be opened. In this case, we leave a note with our contact attached to the site where the bike was impounded.
If you think CU may have impounded your bike, complete the missing bike form.
Has you bike Been Stolen?
Signs your bike was stolen:
- Other bikes still at the bike rack
- A part of the bike was left behind
- A cut lock is left behind
- The bike was registered and you have not been contacted by bike program staff
If your stolen bike was registered with CU:
- Report your registered bike stolen on BikeIndex.
- Use the passwordless login if you did not create a password when registering your bike. This will work only if you confirmed your bike registration by opening the initial Bike Index email and clicking "confirm your bike registration." *If it does not recognize your email, you will need to search your email for "Bike Index" and confirm your bike registration. After confirming the bike registration, it may take 15 minutes or so, before you can log into Bike Index.
- If you entered the serial number when registering your bike, BikeIndex will have it. You'll want this when reporting your bike stolen with the police.
- Report your bike as stolen with the CU Police Department (If the bike was stolen on-campus).
- Report your bike as stolen with City of Boulder Police Department (if the bike was stolen off-campus).
If your stolen bike was not registered with CU:
- Complete the Stolen Bike Registration Form. Click the bar at the top of the form to list your bike as stolen on BikeIndex.
- Confirm the registration when you recieve an email from Bike Index.
- Report your bike as stolen with the CU Police Department (if the bike was stolen on-campus).
- Report your bike as stolen with the City of Boulder Police Department (if the bike was stolen off-campus).