Published: May 17, 2018

I am most interested in quantitative conservation biology as it relates to apex carnivores. I am not officially associated with any lab in particular, but much of my work has been done under the supervision of Dr. Dan Doak of the Environmental Studies department.

I was hesitant to affiliate myself with honors upon my admission to CU, because my high school career was plagued with AP classes and I just wanted to relax and enjoy my time here. However, I think it’s really important that we recognize doing an honors thesis and enjoying your time at CU are not mutually exclusive. Sure, you’ll have to sacrifice a weekend or two of going out to get the necessary work done. But if you find something you’re really passionate about, and you’re even slightly interested in making that into a thesis, I would encourage you to greatly consider this. I didn’t give in to the thought of doing a thesis until the summer before my senior year, so if you’re still questioning it, that’s totally fine. But I think a lot of people will over-emphasize the struggles of the thesis more than is realistic. Not to mention the benefits of graduating with honors are immense, and will certainly highlight your strength in the department.