Fall colors on campus

The transition from high school to the university setting is an exciting time for students and their families. With the support of parents, this change creates an opportunity for students to take on the role of self-advocate and can lead to a successful transition into adulthood as students learn to absorb these new responsibilities. Below are common questions our office receives regarding the parent role:

Going to college can be a significant transition for both student and family. For many students this is the first time they are separating from family and moving toward independence. This is an exciting time but the transition can also bring up concerns for all involved. Students with disabilities and their families must also understand what it means to transition to a university with a disability and what steps to take in order to receive support from Disability Services at CU Boulder. 

Resources for assisting with the transition to college:

No. There may be some accommodations that will look similar to what your student had in high school, but accommodations are determined through an interactive process with students. We will consider any information (including, but not limited to, your narrative and request for specific accommodations and services, records of past accommodations and services from high school or another college; formal psychological or medical evaluations, letters from past health, education or service providers) when evaluating requests for accommodation. This information is needed so that we can develop an understanding of how your student’s disability is likely to impact them at the college level. 

Documentation submitted to Disability Services needs to come from a qualified professional (i.e. Medical Doctor, Psychologist, Counselor). Please refer to our Documentation Guidelines to see the types of documentation needed for you to receive accommodations.

A student at CU can fill out a Release of Information Form giving Disability Services staff permission to share information related to the office with parents. SAS requires that the student handle any matters related to our office, including registration and accommodations. We do not work with the parent in place of the student.