Berlin

During the summer of 2018, I was given the opportunity to study German in Berlin, Germany on the Center for Western Civilization, Thought and Policy Summer Language Grant. I was able to have this experience just before entering my senior year at CU, and I believe that the time I spent learning and German and living in Berlin have a paved a way towards a new future for myself. My goal for the summer was to greatly improve my German language skills and in order to do so, I took 6 weeks of intensive German classes at the Goethe Institute, an international renown German language school and cultural exchange center. Not only did I improve my grammar and communication skills, but I was also surrounded by 14 other adults, both young and old, all coming from an entirely different country. This was an experience in itself and allowed me to learn about other cities, foods, and cultures – all while practicing German! During my time in Berlin, I was able to reach out to the local Rotaract Club and join the events, club meetings, and volunteer opportunities. This turned out to be an enriching experience and has provided me with even more global contacts.

While I was in Berlin, I lived in two very different neighborhoods. The first was Prenzlauer Berg, which was a hip, family-oriented neighborhood with many great bars and restaurants. The transportation was fantastic, and the neighborhood was clean, full of art, and a lot of fun! The second neighborhood that I lived in was Neukolln. This was a more international neighborhood, with a lot of Middle Eastern influence. It was a little bit more alternative and exciting! In a city like Berlin, full of culture and influence, I was grateful to have been able to live in two very different areas.

I want to thank the Center for Western Civilization, Thought and Policy providing me with the summer language grant. It dramatically improved my German skills and have provided a new future after the university. I could not be more grateful for the opportunity!

Best regards,
Soren Fuchs