Covid-19 Updates & Impacts on CUUB Summer 2020
Due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, the University of Colorado Boulder has decided to move all classes and camps to virtual platforms. For more information and CU Boulder's coronavirus updates visit here.
While we are disappointed we will not be able to host you on campus this summer, CUUB agrees with the University's choice to prioritize safety. In order to keep serving you to the best of our ability, CUUB is excited to host its first-ever virtual program! CUUB's remote Summer Academic Institute will include online classes via Google Classroom as well as live instruction and study hall using Zoom. Each instructor will use Google Classroom for weekly assignments. Instructors and Instructional Assistants will be on Zoom sessions at specific times for each course to facilitate live discussions, working through problem sets, and other activities to ensure students understand the materials.
Students will also still benefit from the mentorship that occurs within RA groups. Each student will have an RA who will reach out to students on a regular basis throughout the summer. RA Group meetings will still occur so students are able to meet other students within the program. The group of RAs will also collectively plan virtual activities for students to participate in throughout the summer in order to build connections.
Things to Know
- We will mail you a CUUB backpack, T-Shirt, water bottle, and school supplies. If you have a change in mailing address, let us know so we can send the supplies to the appropriate place this summer.
- We will mail you an updated student handbook. Make sure you read this thoroughly; it will contain guidelines and expectations for this summer's participation and online etiquette.
- Students will still be in RA groups, your RA will be reaching out to you via email, social media, or phone before the program begins.
Incentives for the participating this summer:
- A weekly $20 stipend mailed directly to you.
- Food boxes mailed every two weeks.
- Fall field trips (local) + gift cards (depending on how many sessions and activities you participate in)
If you cannot participate in this summer's virtual program, please notify CUUB Directors as soon as possible so that we can create an individualized plan for you and your parent/guardian. If you do not participate in some capacity you will not receive a weekly stipend.
Additional Information on Summer Stipends
Due to the pandemic, we understand the limited access to a bank in order to cash/deposit the stipends. Please hold on to the stipends we mail to you until it is safe and possible to go to a bank in your area. If the stipends expire, contact CUUB Directors so we can re-issue a new stipend.
In order to ensure every participant has internet access and access to a laptop or computer to participate in the virtual summer institute, CUUB is looking into providing hotspots and google chromebooks to students. If you are a CUUB student and you need access to the internet or a laptop, click here or email Tanaya (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Cassie (email@example.com).
Stay in touch and up-to-date with CUUB by following us on social media
- Twitter: @cuubupwardbound
- Instagram: @cuubupwardbound
- Facebook: CU-Upward Bound Program Page
Summer Academic Institute Dates
This Summer Academic Institute Dates are:
Sunday, June 7, 2020 - Virtual Student Orientation
Monday, June 8, 2020 - First Day of Classes
Friday, July 17, 2020 - Last Day of Classes
Saturday, July 18, 2020 - Virtual Closing Celebration for Students, Staff and Families
How to Use Zoom
Zoom is a video and audio conference platform. This allows the Upward Bound staff to contact you via your mobile phone or computer. This will be helpful for our summer virtual gatherings and classroom/study hall sessions.
|How To Use Zoom by a Phone Call||
1. On your phone, dial the teleconferencing number provided in your invite.
2. Enter the meeting ID number when prompted using your dial pad. You will most likely have a password to enter to join the meeting as well. This will be given to you by CUUB staff.
Note: If you have already joined the meeting via computer, you will have the option to enter your 2-digit participant ID to be associated with your computer. If you have not joined on your computer, simply press # again when prompted to enter in your participant ID.
|How To Use Zoom Through A Phone App||
1. Open the Zoom mobile app. If you have not downloaded the Zoom mobile app yet, you can download it from the Google Play Store.
2. Join a meeting using one of these methods:
3. Enter the meeting ID number and your display name.
4. Select if you would like to connect audio and/or video and tap Join Meeting. You will most likely have a password to enter to join the meeting as well. This will be given to you by CUUB staff.
|How To Use Zoom Through An Internet Browser||
1. Open Chrome.
2. Go to join.zoom.us.
3. Enter your meeting ID provided by the host/organizer.
4. Click Join.