Published: Nov. 20, 2018
Student Cailyn Craven smiling at CU

What is your professional and/or academic background?

Started an eCommerce Company; History/English Major with Minor in Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences

What made you decide to pursue a CS degree? What are your career goals?

As an eCommerce business owner, I rely on software tools to help automate and run my business, and I have lots of ideas for new tools or improvements to existing tools. I am excited to pursue a CS degree to help work on tools to help other business owners.

Why did you choose CU Boulder’s program?

I completed my Bachelor's Degree from CU Boulder and had a wonderful experience. I was interested in pursuing a CS degree, but I was concerned that returning to school as a mom with a career would be really challenging. It felt really serendipitous to find this new program offering.

Why does the post-bacc program work for you?

It gives me the flexibility to be a mom to two little ones and run a business while pursuing my degree.

What advice do you have for incoming students?

I definitely felt like it took some time for me to adjust to the online format. It can be harder to connect with other students because you aren't seeing them in person. Make sure to participate in the online discussion groups. Find a way to make it to office hours!

What are some things you like to do for fun?

I have a one-year-old and a three-year-old, so most of my time is spent having adventures with them. We go to lots of parks and splash pads, and we spend lots of time talking about things like dinosaur blueberry smoothies. I also love skiing, hiking, and going to CU Football games.

Read more stories