Published: Feb. 29, 2016

Would you please tell us about your prior experience?
I spent five years stationed in New Orleans with the United States Navy before deciding to get my accounting degree at the University of Northern Colorado. I then took a position as an auditor with the public accounting firm Anton Collins Mitchell LLP based out of Denver. I worked for two years in the governmental auditing unit.  

What do you find most interesting in your current role as an Area Accountant?
As an auditor, I tested the accuracy of financial statement balances, the efficacy of internal controls and compliance with Federal requirements. What I find interesting about my new role is being able to participate in the operations and accounting processes of CU-Boulder, which is very different than coming in when the numbers are finalized and running tests on the balances. I especially enjoy getting to work with personnel in different departments across campus and providing financial training to users of the financial system.  

What do you view as the greatest opportunity in this new role?
What originally motivated me to apply for this position was the opportunity to take what I had learned in public accounting and apply that to the year-long process of preparing accurate financial statements at CU-Boulder. Being able to apply a fundamental knowledge of finance and accounting to the operations of a major research university that will contribute to the overall success of that university is something I’m very excited about. 

On a personal note, what do you enjoy doing outside of CCO?
I enjoy spending time with friends, especially if it involves trying out new breweries. I also really like reading history books, learning languages, and traveling. I’ve traveled extensively in Northern Europe and look forward to making a third trip to my favorite place – Uppsala, Sweden.