The conference assistant is responsible for completing tasks that assist the day-to-day office in coordinating conferences and events. This front-line position is often the first point of contact for clients and guests. The successful candidate will gain experience in conference planning, customer service, communication, teamwork, registration, logistics and financial management.
- Staff the office front desk, answer the phone, greet guests and run errands
- Respond to emails and phone messages; manage tasks in the office’s primary software program
- Assist with conference and housing registrations
- Support the planning and execution of all aspects of conference logistics (meeting space, catering, transportation, special events, parking, etc.)
- Assist with on-site conference logistics and the execution of conference events
- Manage pickup and delivery of conference group housing and dining cards
- Graphic design work and directional sign production
- Other duties as assigned
- 5-10 hours a week during the academic year (based on availability) and up to 30-40 hours a week in the summer. Taking classes or having additional jobs will not be permitted in the summer
- A valid driver’s license and successful background check
- Must be a currently enrolled University of Colorado student in good standing. To work in the summer, must be an enrolled University of Colorado student for the 2019 fall semester
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs. occasionally
Preferred Qualifications & Skills
- A demonstrated interest in customer service and conference and event management
- Ability to work independently with little supervision, handling multiple deadlines and projects
- Skills in planning, organizing, problem-solving, managing multiple tasks and attention to detail
The conference assistant earns $11.10 per hour. These hours are not to exceed 50 hours over a two-week pay period during the spring semester and 80 hours over a two-week pay period during the summer. Hours will flex from week to week, based on conference and office needs. The schedule for this position will not allow for more than four consecutive vacation days during the summer. Time off requests are subject to manager approval and based on conference needs and staff availability. Due to the nature of the work, some early mornings, evenings, and weekend shifts will be required.
To apply to this position, please visit our student job application. First preference will be given to applications received by Feb.1, 2019. Have questions? Please contact CU Conference Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-492-5150.