Published: Nov. 7, 2018
Kylie Bearse

By: Christine Mahoney
Fall 2018

https://www.9news.com/article/about-us/team-bios/kylie-bearse/73-540142528

CMCI alumnae Kylie Bearse (Broadcast News, 2011) is a meteorologist at 9News, Denver.  She visited CMCI’s NewsTeam Boulder class in early October, sharing tips with students hoping to launch careers in TV weather and news. Kyle’s top tips: do internships, be persistent, get used to rejection and show you care.  Here’s more:

DO INTERNSHIPS – FOR EXPERIENCE AND CONTACTS:

Kylie, who interned on the morning show at 9News during the summer of 2010, said her internship was crucial in helping her decide this was the career for her.   “Spending time in a newsroom is the only way to truly feel if it’s a place you want to be. You can earn straight A’s in classes, but interning will actually help you decide if it’s the career path you want.  While you learn valuable skills, the best takeaway from interning comes with the contacts you make… The people I met here at 9News stayed in touch with me for years, always taking the time to answer questions and help my career get to the next step.”

BE PERSISTENT -- DO MORE THAN EMAIL:

“News directors get bombarded with email on a daily basis, so sometimes it’s a matter of luck getting through to them… Whenever I was traveling through a place I wanted to work I would email the news directors and ask for a brief meeting.  You’d be amazed how many people said yes!” Kylie says she kept in touch with her mentors for seven years, as she worked in smaller markets in Wyoming and Salt Lake City. Even when she landed a job in #15 market Minneapolis at the age of 25, she had dreams of making it back to Colorado.  And she made sure her contacts in Denver knew it. “With mentors, send an email update about your life every six months or so. That way, you’re not only reaching out when you want or need something. Keep in touch with news directors by sending an updated reel or asking for feedback on what they’d like to see from you.”  

GET USED TO REJECTION – THERE’S A LOT OF IT IN TV:

Kylie did theatre for about 10 years growing up and was a Theatre major at CU Boulder before switching to Journalism.  “I credit a lot of what I learned on stage to helping me transition to TV. The ad-libbing skills came in especially handy when I transitioned (from news) to weather and hosting.  My time in theatre also taught me to keep going when I made a mistake – you can’t walk off stage or get a “rewind” on TV.” Kylie says experiencing rejection at auditions was also a big plus as she started her TV career.  “There’s a lot of rejection in news and it can be for any number of reasons… You learn to focus on what you can control and move on from rejection and things you can’t.”

SHOW YOU CARE – ABOUT YOUR CO-WORKERS AND YOUR COMMUNITY:

Working in TV news and weather means moving every couple of years, jumping to larger markets, when you first start out.  Kylie says she learned a valuable lesson from a co-worker in Minneapolis. “He said, ‘Build up your co-workers. The better your team looks, the better you look.’”  She took that to heart. She says she also learned to embrace her community, starting a feature called ‘Kylie’s Kids,’ where she visited children in local hospitals and helped tell their stories.  “If you show that you care about that community, they’ll accept you.” And, a perk: volunteering and getting involved in a newfound community also helps with generating and pitching story ideas.

Students asked Kylie if she ever felt like giving up when she was just starting out in TV.  “Of course – yes! I had moments like, ‘I don’t know if this is for me.’” Her advice: “Keep the big picture in mind.  All of this will eventually get you where you want to be.”