B.S. (Honors) in Chemistry, University of British Columbia. May 1988
Ph.D. in Chemistry, California Institute of Technology. June 1993
- ACS I&EC Fellow (2013)
- ACS PMSE Fellow (2011)
- CU-Boulder College of Engineering Faculty Research Award (2008)
- CU-Boulder Inventor of the Year (2007)
- Boulder Faculty Assembly Excellence in Research, Scholarly and Creative Work Award (2007)
- American Chemical Society Colorado Section Award (2006)
- CU Boulder Residence Life Teaching Excellence Award (2002)
- ACS PMSE/YCC Young Contributor to Polymer Materials Science (1999)
- Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Research Fellow (1999-2001)
- Research Corporation Cottrell Teaching/Scholar Award (1997)
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award (1996-2001)
- 3M Nontenured Faculty Award (1996-2000)
- Cowan, M. G.; Gin, D. L.;* Noble, R. D.* “Poly(ionic liquid)/Ionic Liquid Ion-gels with High ‘Free’ Ionic Liquid Content: Platform Membrane Materials for CO2/Light Gas Separations,” Acc. Chem. Res. 2016, Article ASAP. Published on-line April 5, 2016: DOI: 10.1021/acs.accounts.5b00547. (peer-reviewed review article)
- Kerr, R. L.; Edwards, J. L.; Jones, S. C.; Elliott, B. J.; Gin, D. L.* “Effect of Varying the Composition and Nanostructure of Organic Carbonate-containing Lyotropic Liquid Crystal Polymer Electrolytes on Their Ionic Conductivity,” Polym. J. 2016, in press. Published on-line January 27, 2016: DOI: 10.1038/pj.2015.119.
- Wijayasekara, D. B.; Cowan, M. G.; Lewis, J. T.; Gin, D. L.;* Noble, R. D.;* Bailey, T. S.* “Elastic Free-standing RTIL Composite Membranes for CO2/N2 Separation Based on Sphere-forming Triblock/Diblock Copolymer Blends,” J. Membr. Sci. 2016, 511, 170–179.
- Singh, Z. V.; Cowan, M. G.; McDanel, W. M.; Luo, Y.; Zhou, R.; Gin, D. L.;* Noble, R. D.* “Determination and Optimization of Factors Affecting CO2/CH4 Separation Performance in Poly(ionic liquid)-Ionic Liquid-Zeolite Mixed-Matrix Membranes,” J. Membr. Sci. 2016, 509, 149–155.
- Feng, X.; Nejati, S.; Cowan, M. G.; Tousley, M. E.; Wiesenauer, B. R.; Noble, R. D.; Elimelech, M.; Gin, D. L.; Osuji, C. O.* “Thin Polymer Films with Continuous Vertically Aligned 1-nm Pores Fabricated by Soft Confinement,” ACS Nano 2016, 10 (1), 150–158.
- Dai, Z.; Noble, R. D.; Gin, D. L.; Zhang, X.; Deng, L.* “Combination of Ionic Liquids with Membrane Technology: A New Approach for CO2 Separation,” J. Membr. Sci. 2016, 497, 1–20.
- Cowan, M. G.; Masuda, M.; McDanel, W. M.; Kohno, Y.; Gin, D. L.;* Noble, R. D.* “Phosphonium-based Poly(Ionic Liquid) Membranes: The Effect of Cation Alkyl Chain Length on Light Gas Separation Properties and Ionic Conductivity,” J. Membr. Sci. 2016, 498, 408–413.
- Kohno, Y.; Cowan, M. G.; Okafuji, A.; Ohno, H.; Gin, D. L.;* Noble, R. D.* “Reversible and Selective O2 Binding using a New Thermoresponsive Cobalt(II)-based Ionic Liquid,” Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 2015, 54 (48), 12214–12216.
- McDanel, W. M.; Cowan, M. G.; Chisholm, N. O.; Gin, D. L.;* Noble, R. D.* “Fixed-site-carrier Facilitated Transport of Carbon Dioxide through Ionic-liquid-based Epoxy-amine Ion Gel Membranes,” J. Membr. Sci. 2015, 492, 303–311.
- Cowan, M. G.; McDanel, W. M.; Funke, H. H.; Kohno, Y.; Gin, D. L.;* Noble, R. D.* “High Ethene/Ethane Selectivity in 2,2’-Bipyridine-based Silver(I) Complexes via Removal of Coordinated Solvent,“ Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, 54 (19), 5740–5743.
- McDanel, W. M.; Cowan, M. G.; Barton, J. A.; Gin, D. L.;* Noble, R. D.* “Effect of Monomer Structure on Curing Behavior, CO2 Solubility, and Gas Permeability of Ionic Liquid-based Epoxy-Amine Resins and Ion-gels,” Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 2015 54 (16), 4396–4406.
Functional Nanostructured Polymer Materials Based on Liquid Crystal Building Blocks:
Nanoporous, molecular-size separation membranes based on polymerized liquid crystal assemblies; nanoporous catalysts based on polymerized liquid crystals; design and characterization of new nanostructured polymer materials
New Ionic Materials and Polyelectrolyte Architectures Based on Room-Temperature Ionic Liquids (RTILs):
Design of RTILs with new functional properties; new ionic polymers and composites based on RTILs; new RTIL-based lyotropic LCs and LC systems; gas separation and transport studies of new RTIL-based materials