Associate Professor • Lewis-Worcester Faculty Fellow • Joint Appointment at National Renewable Energy Laboratory
Building Systems Engineering • Civil Systems • Engineering Science
Office: ECCE 247
- PhD (05/2010) Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University, USA
- MSc (07/2005) Computational Engineering, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany
- MEng (06/2003) Automation, Chongqing University, China
- BSc (07/2000) Automation, Chongqing University, China
- Grid-interactive Efficient District (GED) Energy Systems
- Multi-Scale Building Stock Energy Performance Perdition
- Smart Garden Alley
- Model Predictive Control for Energy Efficient Buildings
- Energy Efficient Data Center Cooling
- Building to Grid Integration
- Building Energy Modeling for Building Energy Codes and Standards
- Large-Scale Building Energy Modeling and Big Data Analysis
- Cross-Platform High Performance Parallel Computing for Building Simulations
- Integrated Modeling of Indoor Environment, Envelop, HVAC and Control Systems
- Development of Near-Optimal Control for HVAC System
- Energy and Water Efficient Hotel
- Energy Efficient District Energy System
- Smart and Connected Communities
- 100% Renewable Energy Cities
- Smart City
- Human-Centered Resilient Cities
- Fellow, International Building Performance Simulation Association, 2021
- Research Development Award, Department of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, CU Boulder, 2020.
- Distinguished Service Award, ASHRAE, 2017.
- Eliahu I. Jury Early Career Research Award, College of Engineering, University of Miami, 2016.
- SEEDS You Choose Leadership Award, University of Miami, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016.
- Emerging Professional Award in recognition of superior early achievement in the field of energy modeling, IBPSA-USA, 2016.
- Provost Research Award, University of Miami, 2014.
- Best Poster Award, IBPSA-USA Winter Meeting, Chicago, IL, 2009
- C. A. Faulkner, J. E. Castellini Jr., W. Zuo, D. M. Lorenzetti, M. D. Sohn 2021. “Investigation of HVAC Operation Strategies for Office Buildings During COVID-19 Pandemic”, Building and Environment.
- J. E. Castellini Jr., C. A. Faulkner, W. Zuo, D. M. Lorenzetti, M. D. Sohn 2021. “Assessing the Use of Portable Air Cleaners for Reducing Exposure to Airborne Diseases in a Conference Room with Thermal Stratification”, Building and Environment, pp. 108441.
- Y. Lou, Y. Yang, Y. Ye, W. Zuo, J. Wang 2021. “The Effect of Building Retrofit Measures on CO2 Emissions Reduction – A Case Study with U.S. Medium Office Buildings.” Energy and Buildings, 253, pp. 111514.
- J. Wang, S. Huang, W. Zuo, D. Vrabie 2021. “Occupant Preference-Aware Load Scheduling for Resilient Communities.” Energy and Buildings, 252, pp. 111399.
- S. Huang, J. Wang, Y. Fu, W. Zuo, K. Hinkelman, R. M. Kaiser, D. He, D. Vrabie 2021. “An Open-source Virtual Testbed for a Real Net-Zero Energy Community”. Sustainable Cities and Society, 75, pp. 103255.
- C. Fan, K. Hinkelman, Y. Fu, W. Zuo, S. Huang, C. Shi, N. Mamaghani, C. Faulkner, X. Zhou 2021. “Open-source Modelica Models for the Control Performance Simulation of Chiller Plants with Water-side Economizer.” Applied Energy. 299, pp. 117337.
- S. Huang, W. Zuo, D. Vrabie, R. Xu 2021. “Modelica-based System Modeling for Control-related Faults in Chiller Plants and Boiler Plants Serving Large Office Buildings.” Journal of Building Engineering, 44, pp 102654.
- Y. Ye, K. Hinkelman, Y. Lou, W. Zuo, G. Wang, G., J. Zhang 2021. "Evaluating the Energy Impact Potential of Energy Efficiency Measures for Retrofit Applications: A Case Study with US Medium Office Buildings." Building Simulation, pp. 1-17.
- S, Huang, Y. Ye, Di. Wu, W. Zuo 2021. “An Assessment of Power Flexibility from Commercial Building Cooling Systems in the United States.” Energy. 221, pp 119571.
- X. Han, W. Tian, J. VanGilder, W. Zuo, C. Faulkner 2021. "An Open Source Fast Fluid Dynamics Model for Data Center Thermal Management." Energy and Buildings, 230, pp 110599.
- Q. Zhang, W. Saad, M. Bennis, X. Lu, M. Debbah, and W. Zuo 2021. “Predictive Deployment of UAV Base Stations in Wireless Networks: Machine Learning Meets Contract Theory.” Transaction of Wireless Communications, 20 (1), pp. 637-652.
- J. Wang, K. Garifi, K. Baker, W. Zuo, Y. Zhang, S. Huang, D. Vrabie 2020. "Optimal Renewable Resource Allocation and Load Scheduling of Resilient Communities." Energies, 13, pp 5683.
- Y. Fu, X. Han, K. Baker, W. Zuo 2020. “Assessments of Data Centers for Provision of Frequency Regulation.” Applied Energy, 277, pp 115621.
- Y. Ye, Y. Lou, W. Zuo, E. Franconi, G. Wang 2020. "How Do Electricity Pricing Programs Impact the Selection of Energy Efficiency Measures? - A Case Study with U.S. Medium Office Buildings." Energy and Buildings, 224, pp. 110267.
- Y. Ye, Y. Lou, M. Strong, S. Upadhyaya, W. Zuo, G. Wang 2020. "Development of New Baseline Models for U.S. Medium Office Buildings Based on Commercial Buildings Energy Consumption Survey Data." Science and Technology for the Built Environment, pp. 1-19.
- G. Zhang, C. Tian, C. Li, J.J. Zhang, W. Zuo 2020. "Accurate forecasting of building energy consumption via a novel ensembled deep learning method considering the cyclic feature." Energy, 201.
- Y. Fu, W. Zuo, M. Wetter, J. W. VanGilder, P. Yang 2019. "Equation-based object-oriented modeling and simulation of data center cooling systems." Energy and Buildings, 198, pp. 503-519.
- S. Huang, X. Lu, W. Zuo, X. Zhang, C. Liang 2019. "Model-based optimal operation of heating tower heat pump systems." Building and Environment, 160, 106199.
- W. Tian, J.W. VanGilder, X. Han, C.M. Healey, M.B. Condor, W. Zuo 2019. “A New Fast Fluid Dynamics Model for Data-Center Floor Plenums.” ASHRAE Transactions, 125, pp. 141-148.
- X. Lu, K. Hinkelman, Y. Fu, J. Wang, W. Zuo, Q. Zhang, W. Saad 2019. “An Open Source Modeling Framework for Interdependent Energy-Transportation-Communication Infrastructure in Smart and Connected Communities.” IEEE Access, 7, pp. 55458-55476.
- Y. Ye, K. Hinkelman, J. Zhang, W. Zuo, G. Wang 2019. “A Methodology to Create Prototypical Building Energy Models for Existing Buildings: A Case Study on U.S. Religious Worship Buildings.” Energy and Buildings, 194, pp. 351-365.
- S. Huang, Y. Ye, X. Han, W. Zuo, X. Zhang, L. Jiang 2019. “Performance evaluation of heating tower heat pump systems over the world.” Energy Conversion and Management, 186, pp. 500-515.
- Y. Fu, W. Zuo, M. Wetter, J. W. VanGilder, X. Han, D. Plamondon 2019. “Equation-Based Object-Oriented Modeling and Simulation for Data Center Cooling: A Case Study.” Energy and Buildings,186, pp. 108-125.