The University of Colorado Boulder’s one-of-a-kind, non-credit Online Certificate in Tunneling gives you the opportunity to be on the forefront of the tunneling industry, which has a worldwide need for skilled professionals.
This non-credit course is endorsed by the International Tunneling and Underground Space Association.
Who Should Attend
This program is geared toward engineers or engineering geologists with an MS and BS in civil engineering, engineering geology or mining engineering who want to obtain a working knowledge of tunnel design and construction by applying the fundamentals acquired in their BS and MS degrees (and possible professional experience).
Lectures by the program director, CU Boulder alumnus Fulvio Tonon, form the backbone of each of the 11 modules. They are supplemented by seminars from international industry experts, who drill deep into specific topics and provide case histories, and structured assignments to help students fully master the concepts. All lectures have been recorded and may be attended anytime, anywhere.
- General Tunneling Aspects
- Engineering Geology (stresses, strains, and anisotropy)
- Engineering Rock Mechanics
- Soil Mechanics & Geotechnical Engineering, Investigations
- Using Rock and Soil Mechanics
- Analytical and Numerical Methods for Diagnosis Phase; Therapy Phase for Preliminary Confinement
- Type A tunnels: Analytical
- Methods of Analysis and Design
- Type A Tunnels: Excavation in Rock
- Therapy Phase and Construction Phase for Preconfinement (Type B & C Tunnels) and Final Lining
- Mechanized Tunneling with Face Control for Type B and C Tunnels
- Monitoring and Surveying
- Risk Assessment & Management
This online course can be started at any time. It is self-paced, but must be completed within four years.