The Center for Asian Studies Summer Language Fellowship is not currently available for 2017.
Please note that this is not the FLAS Fellowship. FLAS fellowships are not currently available at the University of Colorado Boulder.
The Center for Asian Studies (CAS) Summer Language Fellowships are awarded competitively to University of Colorado Boulder graduate students studying modern Asian languages.
A student is eligible to receive a fellowship if he or she:
- Is a graduate student;
- Are enrolled in a formal Arabic, Chinese, Farsi, Hindi, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean or Tibetan language course during the period of the fellowship. Native speakers of the language to be studied are not eligible;
- Fellowships may be used at a program either domestically within the United States or internationally.
- Asian languages other than those listed above may be possible pending approval;
- Will pursue full-time study in accordance with CU requirements.
Selection Priorities and Criteria
In reviewing applications, the selection committee will give consideration to the following criteria (not inclusive and not necessarily in this order):
- Fellows will be selected on the basis of previous academic achievement, language ability, strength of recommendation, commitment to apply language and area studies in future career, promise of high academic or professional achievement, and the significance of the proposed course of study to the academic or professional world.
- Candidates with at least intermediate competence in the Asian language will be given priority; native speakers of the target language will be excluded.
- Priority will be assigned to applicants who choose to study one of the least-commonly-taught languages: Arabic, Farsi, Hindi, Indonesian, Korean, and Tibetan.
- Priority will also be given to students preparing for a career in government service or the professions, those who include teacher training and outreach activities among their proposed programs or future goals, and those from diverse backgrounds.
- Fellows must submit a one-page report at the end of the fellowship. Failure to submit this report precludes future participation in the program.
2016 Summer Fellowship
- Up to three summer fellowships of between $5000 and $7500 to help fund graduate study of an Asian language.
The application for Summer 2016 can be found here.
List of possible summer language programs can be found here.
In addition to the application form, the following materials will need to be submitted to CAS:
- Statement of purpose (2 - pages double spaced)
- Address your previous training in the language and area you are applying for and how Asian language will facilitate your future research and/or career goals.
- Budget detailing all anticipated expenses including program tuition/fees, room and board, travel, etc.
- One letter of support from your supervisor
- CU transcript (unofficial transcript is acceptable.)
- Scanned copy of the summer program brochure which must include a description of the program, course content, start and end dates, number of contact hours, tuition rates and fees.
Please scan all documents, except the letter of support into a single, PDF file and email to Joanne.Sakaguchi@colorado.edu by the specified deadline. Contact Joanne Sakaguchi by e-mail or telephone (303-735-6052) with any questions.