Many students may be unsure of the status of graduate or professional school applications in these uncertain times. Like many of us, graduate and professional programs are continuously adapting to changes and impacts. If you’re in the process of applying to graduate or professional school, here are some tips and steps you can take this summer.
Follow up with points of contact
During these uncertain times, you may be wondering how recent changes have affected your application. Reach out to your point of contact and ask about changes to application deadlines, cancellations and other changes.
In your message, be considerate and flexible. Know that there might be a delay to your response, as many administrators are continuing to adjust to changes and may not be able to get back to you right away.
If you had an exam scheduled in the near future, like the GRE, MCAT or LSAT, make sure to check whether it’s been canceled, and if you are able to reschedule.
Build skills and gain experience
Find ways to use your time over the summer to build skills and gain experience.
- Look for volunteer opportunities with causes that are important to you. Connect with the Volunteer Resource Center to learn more about volunteering this summer.
- Build desirable non-technical skills with LinkedIn Learning.
- Consider how you’re involved on campus and if there are any leadership programs or roles you could take on in the fall. Connect with the Center for Student Involvement to learn more.
Connect with others
There are a few things you can do while waiting to hear back about the application process.
- Set up informational interviews over the phone or through video to learn from professionals in your field of interest.
- Use LinkedIn to connect with CU Boulder alumni and grow your professional network.
- Seek out letters of recommendation.
Career Services is here to help
Have more questions about your future plans? Career Services is open for virtual visits via Zoom, phone or LiveChat on the Career Services website Monday–Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Learn more about virtual appointments and drop-in hours.