Published: Jan. 12, 2022

We are suspending our VITA free tax assistance for 2022. 

The VITA Tax program features Leeds School of Business students who have passed an IRS certification exam will prepare tax returns for qualified taxpayers. To ensure accuracy and completeness, all student-prepared tax returns are reviewed by community volunteers who are experienced in tax law.

Students receive valuable experience preparing tax returns, and they are able to work directly with taxpayers. This hands-on work experience is well received by potential employers, and participating in the VITA program gives students an opportunity to perform a much-needed community service. For example, in one year  Leeds School students prepared 479 tax returns and obtained $449,000 in refunds for taxpayers. The students also placed into the local economy an extra $135,000 through Earned Income Tax Credits for families.

VITA has been running in February and March, but has suspended services for 2022. There will be no services available at the Koelbel Building (home of the Leeds School of Business on the CU-Boulder campus).

Under the Facilitated Self Assistance program (“FSA”), taxpayers now have the option of preparing their own tax returns with assistance from IRS-certified volunteers at CU Boulder VITA using interview-based IRS tax software. The FSA option allows taxpayers to use this free file service to both prepare and e-file their tax returns.

Eligible taxpayers should bring the following to the tax site:

  • Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Notices/Cards for the taxpayer, the taxpayer’s spouse, and dependents
  • Photo identification for the taxpayer and the taxpayer’s spouse if married filing jointly (both spouses must be present)
  • All Form W-2s and Form 1099s and other income-related documents
  • Proof of mortgage interest, property taxes, daycare expenses (including provider’s tax ID number), college education expenses (e.g., Form 1098-T), and all other deductible expenses
  • A copy of last year’s federal tax return
  • Proof of account for direct deposit of refund (e.g., voided check)
  • Proof of foreign status if applying for ITIN

For other VITA locations, please visit: