Published: Jan. 12, 2018 By

This is the second post of a new series focusing on getting to know some of our Leeds faculty and staff. This week I had the opportunity to interview Paul Wood, our MBA student services program manager. 

Paul WoodPlease tell us a little about your background: 

I attended the University of Colorado-Colorado Springs from 2008 – 2014. I received my BA in Communications in 2012, and I completed my MA in Student Affairs in Higher Education in May of 2014. While attending UCCS I worked as a Resident Assistant and transitioned into a professional position as the Residence Hall Manager in July of 2012. I was responsible for planning programs, roommate mediations, conduct hearings, responding to student emergencies, and everything in between. After 2.5 years in this position I got a job at CU South Denver and oversaw their student services. I spent almost 3 years at CU South Denver before I was sent the job description and encouraged to apply for my current position.

What brought you to CU?  How long have you been working there?

I came to CU as a student back in 2008. I started working as a student for UCCS in 2009, as a professional staff member in 2012, and have been a part of CU ever since. I have been with Leeds for just over 3 months.

What has been your favorite thing about the Leeds MBA Program so far? 

My favorite thing has been getting to know the students. Everyone has been so welcoming and helped me adjust to my new position. I look forward to when students stop by randomly and really enjoy working with them to help make their experience within the MBA program a positive one. The most surprising thing so far has been the number of clubs within the MBAA and seeing all of the different programs that are student run almost independently from the professional staff. 

What are some of your hobbies/interests outside of work?

I enjoy a lot of the typical Colorado activities such as hiking, camping, running, and climbing 14er’s. I also have a passion for all sports but wrestling, volleyball, and football are my favorites. Just over a year ago I also started doing crossfit and now you can find me in the gym almost every day.

What advice might you have for candidates considering Leeds?

My advice would be to make sure that you have a good balance in life and know what you need to do to be successful. Getting an MBA with Leeds is a big time commitment and you need to be able to balance class, studying, personal life, and everything else to be successful.