Published: Jan. 8, 2016
Jimmy Miner

Prior to pursuing my MBA at Leeds School of Business at the University of Colorado Boulder, I spent four years working for Deloitte as a tax consultant. On a weekly basis, I traveled from my home office in Chicago to serve clients in New York, Boston, Miami, New Orleans, San Francisco, etc. The concept of work hard, play hard has always been a way of life for me and it was solidified during my tenure with Deloitte. Despite the long weeks and long travel days, I was fortunate to spend weekends in great cities and take amazing vacations putting all of those frequent flyer points earned to work.

I have taken the work hard play hard concept very seriously and ultimately this determination allowed me to get the most out of my time here at Leeds. As a result, I gained the experience necessary to secure my dream job and cultivate lasting friendships.

At Leeds, my cohort and I spend long hours and late nights learning new concepts such as linear programming, free cash flow, and porter’s five forces, but we also made time to enjoy ourselves along the way – between Thursday Nights Out (“TNO”), weekends skiing in the mountains, and school treks – there was never a dull moment!

Each week our Vice President of Student Fellowship organizes TNO where all of the first and second year candidates go out and enjoy a few adult beverages together to blow off some steam and recount all of the exciting things we learned throughout the week. These experiences allowed me to get to know my peers off campus, which fostered a supportive and collaborative learning environment back in the classroom. 

Typical Friday afternoons consisted of heading to the mountains to enjoy some of the world’s best skiing terrain – whether you fancy Copper Mountain, Vail Resorts, or Aspen, there is something for everyone. I chose to go to school at Leeds in part because of its geography. It is an epicenter for alpine skiing and climbing and I have definitely taken advantage of the amazing weather and terrain at every chance.  

The off campus class experiences have also enhanced the program. I have participated in two school treks including an amazing trip to Los Angeles to meet with a number of real estate firms and a trip to Aspen to meet with local developers. These were great opportunities to not only meet with impressive firms, but also truly get to know some of my cohort also interested in real estate as a career.

In the end, pursuing an MBA has been filled with learning both inside and outside the classroom. I worked hard and played hard, made great friends, and continue to take advantage of all that Leeds has to offer.