Published: Jan. 22, 2015

The Leeds School of Business at the University of Colorado Boulder is offering free tax preparation services to low income taxpayers (income up to $53,000) under an IRS-­‐sponsored program called VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance).  This is the sixth year that Leeds has provided this free tax service to the community.

Leeds School of Business Support Desk University of Colorado Boulder
Telephone:  303-­‐492-­‐0746


Leeds School of Business students who have passed an IRS certification exam will prepare tax returns for qualified taxpayers.  To ensure accuracy and completeness, all student-­‐prepared tax returns will be reviewed by community volunteers who are experienced in tax law.

Students receive valuable experience preparing tax returns, and they are able to work directly with taxpayers.  This hands-­‐on work experience is well received by potential employers, and participating in the VITA program gives students an opportunity to perform a much needed community service. 

Last year, Leeds School students prepared approximately 440 tax returns and obtained over $532,000 in refunds for taxpayers.  The students also placed into the local economy an extra $160,000 through Earned Income Tax Credits for families. 

VITA will run January 31 through April 4 in Room 375 in the Koelbel Building (home of the Leeds School of Business on the CU-­‐Boulder campus) on Wednesdays and Saturdays only.  Hours are Wednesdays 5:00pm – 6:30pm and Saturdays 9:00am-­‐12:30pm.  There are no appointments.  We operate on a first come first served basis.  Due to limited staffing and high volume of taxpayers, we recommend you arrive as early as possible.  Taxpayers arriving late might be rescheduled to another day.  Scheduled times are subject to change due to adverse weather conditions.


The Koelbel Building is located at 995 Regent Drive, across the street from the Coors Event Center in Boulder.  Free parking is available only in the parking garage across the street from the Koelbel Building.


Eligible taxpayers should bring the following to the tax site:

§§ Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Notices/Cards for the taxpayer, the

taxpayer’s spouse, and dependents 

§§ Photo identification for the taxpayer and the taxpayer’s spouse if married filing joint (both

spouses must be present)

§§ All Form W-­‐2s and Form 1099s and other income-­‐related documents

§§ Proof of mortgage interest, property taxes, daycare expenses (including provider’s tax ID

number), college education expenses (e.g., Form 1098-­‐T), and all other deductible expenses

§§ A copy of last year’s federal tax return

§§ Proof of account for direct deposit of refund (e.g., voided check)

§§ Proof of foreign status if applying for ITIN