Apr. 6, 2011

Hi everyone. My name is Chris Van Hoven and as I write this I am a first year, full time Leeds MBA student just about to finish up the 2nd semester. What a year it has been! When you first arrive on campus you get a chance to speak with second year students who all echo the same sentiment, “it’s going to go fast!”  Now that I have actually experienced it I cannot believe how the time flew.

Literally a year ago today I was at work back home in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Before I moved to Boulder to attend Leeds I attended Gustavus Adolphus College, a small Liberal Arts College in St. Peter Minnesota, where I studied Financial Economics and Political Science. From there I spent time working at Northwest Airlines as an Analyst and then moved on to ConAgra Foods as an Analyst, and Category Leader. Both were fantastic experiences that have proven to be beneficial to my time in the MBA program thus far.

There were a number of factors that contributed to my decision to attend Leeds. I always knew I wanted an MBA. I applied to schools in Minnesota first, but wanted to take the opportunity to totally immerse myself in something outside the state of Minnesota. I did a lot of research and found myself growing more and more attached to the idea of Colorado and Leeds. Coming out for an interview and an MBA ambassador visit sealed the deal. I knew where I had to be. The people here are amazing, the energy is unsurpassed and as far as places to live — Boulder cannot be beat.

Thus far Leeds has given me an opportunity to hone my talents, be challenged by new and exciting opportunities and surround myself with some of the best and brightest people you can imagine. It’s been the fastest, best, and most challenging nine months of my life. I am already dreading graduation day (albeit a year away, but still fast approaching) but know that when I am done here I will have reached my goals, created new ones and be forever connected to one of the best places on the planet!