- Bills are available online in Buff Portal usually by the second Thursday of the month after you register for classes. You will receive a bill notification at your CU email address when the bill is available.
- You can download or print a copy of an invoice for your records or for reimbursement in Buff Portal.
We accept payment from a traditional U.S. checking or savings account and we also accept American Express, Discover, Mastercard and Visa. A nonrefundable 2.75% service fee is charged by NelNet for all credit and debit card transactions. We encourage payment from a checking or savings account in order to save money and avoid the service fee.
If a 3rd party is paying your educational expenses, please visit 3rd Party Sponsorships.
If you withdraw, you must submit a drop request within 14 days from the class start date or your enrollment date, whichever is later, in order to be eligible for a refund. Please see the Office of the Registrar’s Special Programs website for more information and to submit a drop request.
If you paid with a credit or debit card, the refund will go back to that card. Please allow 10 or more business days to receive your refund. Your credit card company may require an additional few days for processing. If you paid with an eCheck, please sign up for Direct Deposit in Buff Portal to receive your refund quickly. If you are expecting a refund and have set up direct deposit, refunds will be deposited into your bank account in 2-3 business days after the credit appears on your tuition account, depending on your bank.
To set up direct deposit for refunds:
- Log in to Buff Portal and locate the MATL card (it will be on the main page after you log in).
- Click the overflow menu (three vertical dots in the upper right corner) and click “Direct Deposit.”
- Read the authorization and disclosure, and then click “Next.”
- Enter your banking information and click “Next.”
- Confirm the information and click “Submit.” If your banking information changes, you'll need to update this information.
Tax Benefits for Education
Tax incentives exist for people who are paying for college. 1098-T tax forms provide information about educational expenses paid to CU Boulder. 1098-T forms are issued online every year by January 31. Learn more at Tax Benefits for Education: Information Center or consult a tax advisor. The University of Colorado does not provide tax advice.
Students enrolled in the Teacher Leadership program can access the 1098-T form on the MATL card in Buff Portal.
- Log in to Buff Portal and locate the MATL card.
- Click the overflow menu (three vertical dots in the upper right corner) and click "View 1098T Tax Forms."
- You may need to grant consent to receive your 1098-T form online. If so, click "Grant Consent," then check the box for "Yes," and click "Submit." Next, click "View 1098-T Selection."
- Click on the tax year for the form you want to view and download.
- To download the form, select the row for "1098-T Form" and click "View."
- Click "Allow" to allow the site to open a new window.
- Print or download the form.
- To view detailed information, select the row for "1098-T Transaction Detail" and click "View."
- View a breakdown of payments received for qualified tuition and expenses; prior year adjustments; grants and scholarships; and prior year grant adjustments.to see tax year itemizations.