Service activities are handled by BFP and Office of Contracts and Grants (OCG). Read below to learn more about the different service activities, and who to contact.
Service activities are
- other sponsored activities performed by university personnel and utilize university facilities and/or equipment with excess capacity to perform work similar to tasks done on sponsored research projects, but without the scientific investigation and conclusions.
- a valuable approach to enhance relationships with external partners, increase research funding and utilize facilities or equipment that have additional capacity. Often these projects lead into larger research opportunities.
- are initiated as either rate based or scope based service activities. All service activities with external customers have a legally binding quote or contract that include standard university requirements and terms and conditions relevant to the work.
- Bundled expenses distributed across multiple projects
- Average rate / pre-pricing / catalog pricing
- Rate based service activities can occur between external customers (External Rate Based Service Activities) and within the university system between departments and across campuses (Internal Rate Based Service Activities)
- Testing (usually standard, repetitive tests)
- Equipment Use
- Quotes within the department/campus unit
- infoED if agreements required
- 28/29 (Department Managed)
Where do I start?
- Budget & Fiscal Planning (BFP) is your first stop with Rate Based Service Activities. BFP works with you to set rates, assess risk levels and guide you to the next steps depending on whether the customer is internal or external to the university.
- Rate Based Service Activities typically follow an annual cycle with current year detailed information found on the BFP website.
- Activity based on a specific scope of work
- A budget is built to the scope of work
- Scope based service activities are only with external customers
- Work for Hire or Consulting
- Analysis and Interpretation
- Training for External Entities (outside of academic program)
- 33 (SPA Managed)
Where do I start?
- Follow the Office of Contracts and Grants' (OCG) Prepare & Submit Proposals requirements to begin the process if the project is in the beginning stages.
Submit questions to:
Project Manager, Service & Research Agreements
Office of Contracts and Grants