Degrees Offered:

  • Programs of Study
  • Minor

Programs of Study Website

Degree Requirements 

At the University of Colorado Boulder, it is not possible to major in education at the undergraduate level. Students that desire to become teachers may complete a licensure program in conjunction with a bachelor's degree. Students complete a degree in an applicable major to master the content knowledge that will be required of them as a public school teacher. The education coursework will expose students to the various pedagogical theories and methodologies relevant to classroom-based instruction. 

The Teacher Licensure program here is a small community, affording students the opportunity to work directly with faculty in the classroom. Outside of the classroom, students will also engage in over eight-hundred hours of youth interaction over the course of the program.

The School of Education offers licensure in the following areas:

The Education Minor is designed for students who are interested in education, but who do not necessarily want to be a K-12 teacher in a public school. The program is particularly aimed at students who are interested in:

  • working in informal settings (e.g., community-based after-school programs, youth volunteer organizations, etc.);
  • serving in the Peace Corps;
  • understanding issues of equity and social justice and who want to study more deeply how political, cultural, social, and historical dynamics shape policy and practice in education;
  • exploring education as a field of study and practice.

What You Can Do With This

The Teacher Licensure program allows undergraduates to become certified teachers at the Elementary (K-6) and Secondary (7-12) levels. The Education Minor provides an introduction and basis for understanding educational policy that may help a student have a more competitive application to graduate programs in policy or initial-entry positions in policy organizations.

In addition to traditional teaching careers, there are numerous other applications for an Education background:

  • Alumni Relations
  • Athletic Director
  • Grant Writer
  • Guidance Counselor
  • Librarian
  • Missionary Work
  • Peace Corps
  • Technical Writer 
  • Registrar 
  • Social Services
  • Student Affairs
  • Superintendent

Educators also work in a variety of environments:

  • Charter and Private Schools
  • Camps
  • Churches
  • Consulting Firms
  • Educational Publishers
  • Correctional Institutions
  • Government
  • Libraries
  • Museums
  • Non-Profits
  • Professional Associations
  • Social Service Agencies

Research & Opportunities

The faculty of the School of Education is actively involved in teaching, teacher education, and outreach with schools and the community. For a listing of current educational research projects please, click here.

Students pursue educational research opportunities through independent study with faculty, Noyce Teacher Teams, the Learning Assistant Program, or the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program.

How To Get Involved

Many students may be interested in Education, but aren’t sure if it’s a good fit for them. That’s ok! There are several education course options that can be taken prior to formally enrolling in the Teacher Licensure program or Education Minor that will expose you to current topics in the field. For more information on these courses, please contact the School of Education at 303-492-6555 or

Students interested in declaring the Education Minor apply by submitting a completed application form to the School of Education.

Students interested in becoming a teacher must complete 26 credit hours of college coursework to be eligible to apply for the Teacher Licensure program. In the majority of cases, this means students will apply at the end of their freshman year and begin the Teacher Licensure program their sophomore year. 

You will want to meet with an advisor in the School of Education to make sure you are on track to fulfill program requirements. Undergraduates are encouraged to work closely with an Education advisor to plan their programs of study so they may complete all requirements in four years. To make an appointment with one of our advisors, please call 303-492-6555 or stop by room 153 in the Education Building. You will also be assigned a faculty advisor in the School of Education that specializes in your content area once you have been formally admitted.