In July 2018, the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Colorado Boulder released a 10-year strategic plan to articulate the College's vision and to offer a detailed plan for implementation through three strategic imperatives. To achieve this vision, conceptual planning and action should focus on the following areas:
- Culture. The College will be a community welcoming all, and will engage local, state and world partners. Specifically, we will develop the physical space and intellectual climate for bold, inventive collaboration in order to build a strong academic community and a collective identity for students, alumni, faculty and staff in the Arts and Sciences.
- Teaching and Learning. The College will teach to inspire curiosity, compassion and the courage to act. We will emphasis hands-on learning that rewards exploration and inquiry. We propose initiatives that transcend disciplinary boundaries, encourage teaching through research or creative work and engage the world.
- Research. The College will attract, develop and retain the world's best scholars—the engine that drives a research university. We will support high-risk or high-impact projects and bring salary increases at promotion in line with national standards. We will develop a transparent and stable campus-wide funding strategy to equip cutting-edge research by our diverse community of scholars.
This strategic plan was submitted by the College of Arts and Sciences Strategic Planning Committee. Committee members include:
- Jean Balch, Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology
- Lisa Barlow, Baker RAP
- David Brown (Chair), Political Science
- Barbara Demmig-Adams, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
- Peter Elmore, Spanish and Portuguese
- Erin Espelie, Cinema Studies and Moving Image Arts
- Nils Halverson, Astrophysical and Planetary Science
- Anthony Kelley, Graduate Student
- Joanna Lambert, Anthropology and Environmental Studies
- Jane Marsh, Development
- Terra McKinnish, Economics
- Maureen McNamara, Student
- Laura Michaelis-Cummings, Linguistics
- Michael Murray, Facilitator
- Lori Peek, Institute for Behavioral Sciences and Sociology
- Roy Parker, Chemistry
- Markus Pflaum, Mathematics
- Erika Randall, Theatre & Dance
- Allison Sedey, Advising
- Boswell Wing, Geological Sciences
- Masano Yamashita, French & Italian
You can read the full strategic plan here.
Please note: This is a separate strategic process from the campus-wide Academic Futures initiative.