If you have been dismissed from CU-Boulder and plan to return, you must complete the reinstatement process. Reinstatement eligibility requires a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher. There are two methods for meeting the GPA requirement:

  • Complete course work at CU-Boulder during the summer term or through Continuing Education. You may also consider completing course work at another CU campus (Denver or Colorado Springs).


  • Complete course work at another accredited institution. For reinstatement purposes, your cumulative GPA at CU before your dismissal plus the grades and credit hours resulting from all work done at other institutions after your dismissal must calculate to a cumulative GPA of at least a 2.0.
    Note: After reinstatement, transferable course work will be applied as appropriate toward meeting graduation requirements. THE GRADES IN TRANSFER WORK, HOWEVER, WILL NOT BE CALCULATED INTO YOUR CU GPA. After you are reinstated, you will have the same cumulative CU GPA that you have now but you will have two semesters to raise your cumulative CU GPA to a 2.0 before facing another dismissal.

Regardless of the option(s) you choose to raise your grade point average, it is your responsibility to notify the Academic Advising Center in Woodbury 109 when you have qualified for reinstatement. This is not done automatically. Please provide us with a typed statement or reinstatement petition

If you have done work at a school other than CU, you must also provide us with an official transcript of all course work including final grades for the most recent term of enrollment. We will not accept an interim report of courses in progress.


Many students worry that if they take time away from campus they will need to compete for readmission. Undergraduate students now have 3-4 semesters to return without the need to readmit. Students who register for classes via the Division of Continuing Education and Professional Studies will be considered enrolled and set up as a continuing student.  If a student is in good academic standing, a separate reinstatement petition is not required.

If a student has not been active at CU Boulder for 3 or more semesters, they may need to apply for readmission to the university through the Admissions Office. The Admissions Office will accept an application even though a student may have a dismissal notation on record, although they cannot process the application until reinstatement is granted. Readmission is a simple administrative process. However, please be sure to submit your readmit request well in advance of the semester for which you plan to return.

If you have recently readmitted to UCB and are new to the College of Arts & Sciences, you will need to attend a major meeting and A/S college informational meeting.