Emma FalkenberryAs a native Rhode Islander, I struggled to make my final college decision. I knew that I wanted to attend a large university with both on and off-campus opportunities. Additionally, I knew that I wanted to leave Rhode Island for several reasons, including wanting to explore a different region of the country. You may have heard about the “a-ha” moments from friends, relatives and popular culture, but in reality, choosing the right fit for you does not come as easily for everyone, including myself. I weighed my options carefully, but once I committed I never doubted my decision.

Since freshman year of high school, I knew that I wanted to at least tour CU Boulder as a prospective student. I love to ski, hike and spend time outdoors, and the size of the university was alluring. During my junior year, I took a campus tour and fell in love with the architecture, the grounds and the sense of community present on campus. The town of Boulder was a major selling point: I have been spoiled living in such close proximity to major cities, and Boulder certainly did not disappoint. While not considered a large city, Boulder boasts fabulous restaurants, museums, shopping and recreational activities. I left knowing that CU Boulder was a major contender on my college list.

As I continued touring other campuses, I realized that my decision may not come as easily as expected. I strongly considered three other universities, and once I received acceptance letters to other universities, I began questioning myself. Once the end of March neared, I told myself that it was time to commit to one university. My father, a realist, encouraged me to create a detailed pro/con list and compare each university. As an incoming CMCI student, I considered academics first and foremost, followed by location, culture, extracurriculars and community. Each university had plenty to offer; however, as I wrote my pros and cons, my thoughts continued to land on CU Boulder.

“This university is in such a great town, but it isn’t as exciting as Boulder.”

“This university has an Advertising Club, but so does CU Boulder.”

“I think you have your answer,” my father said.

I urge you to trust yourself throughout this process. Go with your gut. Do not ignore your basic intuition, because you know yourself better than anyone. If you feel comfortable on a particular campus, embrace that feeling. If your mind continues to land on a specific university, take note. It is essential to feel at home at your university; it is your home for the next four years! Allow yourself to feel confused and downright anxious, but know that you are not alone during this difficult decision. Like you, I struggled to make my final decision. Four years later, I am graduating from the College of Media, Communication and Information with a passion for advertising and graphic design. I fell in love with the city of Boulder and the state of Colorado and I will be leaving with an open mind, a newfound appreciation for the environment and lifelong friends. Best of luck, and if you decide to attend CU Boulder this fall, I truly hope that your experience is as wonderful as mine has been!

Emma Falkenberry 

Emma Falkenberry
Strategic Communication, 2018