Charles SmithWhere are you originally from?

Denver, CO

Why did you choose CU Boulder / Leeds School of Business?

As someone whose interests range from finance, public policy, and healthcare to entrepreneurship and travel, I needed a place that catered to it all. CU Boulder intertwines a challenging curriculum with the encouragement from professors, program directors, and staff that helps me to explore my passions–creating an incredible school/life balance. There’s a reason why Boulder is ranked the happiest city in the US!

What do you like about Leeds School of Business?

The Leeds School of Business has a plethora of opportunity for professional growth, industry exploration, and networking. Each and every day I am reminded that I am surrounded by driven classmates, taught by top-tier professors, and mentored by accomplished community members and alumni.

What student groups/extracurricular activities are in you involved in?

• Chair of the American Enterprise Institute Executive Council at CU-Boulder
  • Leeds Scholars
  • Leeds Honors
  • Leeds Ambassadors
  • Training to become an EMT at Denver Health
  • Accountant at LawCFO
  • Business Plan Advisor with the Prison Entrepreneurship Program

Did you participate in the First-Year Global Experience (FGX)? If so, where did you go and what were some of your highlights of that experience?

I traveled with the Leeds Scholars Program’s FGX to Tokyo, Japan. Aside from learning about international business practices from some of the most prominent corporations in Japan (Bloomberg, McKinsey, Mitsubishi Corp., etc.), I was impressed by the Japanese alumni’s efforts to make us feel welcome and introduce us to Japanese culture. One alumnus, Koichi Ayaki, and his wife hosted me for dinner at their home outside of Tokyo during my extension. Another hosted me at his lodge in Nagano and allowed me to join him and his business associate on the golf course. Needless to say, CU Boulder’s international presence is astounding.

Charles Smith

Charles Smith
Finance, 2020