Stephanie Lawrence

“I wasn’t born in the mountains, but I got here as fast as I could.”

Colorado has always been a second home for me. When I was about three years old, my parents began the tradition of traveling to Steamboat Springs, Colorado, a small ski town tucked away in the mountains just three hours away from Boulder. I’m an avid skier to say the least. All the times of traveling to “Colorful Colorado,” I knew I had a future here. Although I wish I could say I grew up in a mountain town, but I am first and foremost a city girl! I am originally from Aurora, Illinois, the second biggest city in Illinois. Our home was just 45 minutes from Chicago. I absolutely loved growing up so close to the bustling city because I got to experience urban life at such a young age. However, my love for Chicago could not stop me from changing up the scenery and heading for the Rocky Mountains after graduation.

Moving 1,000 miles away from home was not an easy decision. When I began my college search, I was completely lost. Even though Colorado was always in the back of my mind, I did not know if it was the right fit for me. To find out, my dad and I traveled to the University of Colorado Boulder to attend Be Boulder for a Day to get the whole CU experience. I was very timid when it came to school, but of course my dad lightened the situation up by exploring the campus with me. Everything about the campus amazed me. From the matching buildings, beautiful views, to the Leeds School of Business, I was in love. After the day long program, I told my dad he needed to buy a CU hat at the book store because I knew I was attending school here. My dad then made me lay down and pose on the University of Colorado Boulder sign right in front of the University Memorial Center because “I would want to remember the day I decided to come to CU.”

Coming into CU, I had my eye on the Leeds School of Business but I wanted to explore all my options before committing to a major. With this, I came into the university as an Open-Option major. But I was not on my own- I was paired with an advisor who helped me organize my interests and what I wanted to achieve after graduation. From there, I applied to the business school and was accepted! The Intra-University Transfer process went very smoothly and I even had a specific advisor just to help me with the transition. The Leeds School of Business welcomed me with open arms and made me feel right at home. I am currently a sophomore completely immersed in the business world. Leeds continues to open my eyes to so many different opportunities in the business world, all while preparing me for internships in Denver and Chicago! CU Boulder has provided numerous opportunities for involvement on campus. I am involved with a mentoring program within the business school, I volunteer with the Student Ambassadors, I work with CU Athletics, and in the spring of 2019, I am going to study abroad in Italy for the semester. I could not be more excited to study what I love in one of the most beautiful countries! I have truly established my home in Boulder and cannot believe I only have two years left in this beautiful city. Wherever I end up after graduation, I know I will always have a home at CU.

Stephanie Lawrence

Stephanie Lawrence
Business Administration, 2020