Christine with her acceptance letterMy name is Christine, and I’m currently a junior with plans to graduate next spring. I’m from Littleton, Colorado and as I was deciding where I wanted to live for the next four years, I knew I didn’t want to leave Colorado. I was planning on majoring in engineering but wanted to leave my options open. I had done speech and debate and theater in high school so I was hoping to continue both of those hobbies in college. I ultimately made my college decision through college campus tours. I took tours at three colleges in Colorado, and the CU Boulder tour was the only tour that stuck with me. I fell in love with the atmosphere of Boulder and the beauty of campus. I was impressed with the high academic standards here so I felt comfortable coming in as an engineer even if I wasn’t positive that was the major I would stick with. At the end of the tour, we saw two guys dressed as Mario and Luigi with real go-karts racing across campus. It was hilarious and I really felt like I could find a place on campus that I could fit in and achieve everything I wanted in college. CU Boulder ended up being the only college I applied to.

It took me a while after coming to college to find a community within the larger Buff community to fit into. I tried a lot of different clubs and student organizations my freshman year. I ended up joining the CU V Day Warriors Campaign in the spring of my freshman year because I was hoping it would be an outlet for my want to pursue theater and the organization also has charitable connections so it felt good to be a part of something that contributed to a greater good. I have continued to be a part of the organization since then and next year I will actually be the head of the organization. At the end of the year, I switched out of the College of Engineering & Applied Science. I realized that engineering wouldn’t take me towards a career that I would find truly fulfilling. I instead switched to an Integrative Physiology major so I could eventually work in the health field. At the same time, I had just been given an internship through my on-campus job to work for the summer in a national park. I spent 10 weeks in Yosemite National Park, representing the university while working full time for the museum.

I joined the CU Ambassador program my junior year and it was here that I found a group of people I really clicked with. I had joined because I missed public speaking and I had a couple friends already in the organization but it became so much fun that I dedicated a lot of time to it. Now in my second semester, I am a social chair for the organization as a part of the executive team and I’m hoping to continue the position next year. I also decided to add the Public Health certificate to my degree as I got further into my major. The classes through this certificate have opened up my mind to careers in public health and it feels so refreshing to have an idea of where I want to continue after college. I feel supported as I am coming close to finishing my time here at CU. The resources this campus has provided have been remarkably helpful and there’s always something new to be a part of. I would reapply and do the whole process over again if I could and if I had to go back and make that first college choice again, it would be CU Boulder, hands down. 

Christine Johnson

Christine Johnson
Integrative Physiology & Public Health Certificate, 2018