Rachel hiking in the mountainsHi, my name is Rachel Yen. I am originally from Knoxville, TN and have made it all the way out here to Boulder for my first year of college. I am currently double majoring in Media Studies and Spanish. Besides my academics, I am involved with Student Ambassadors (the campus tour guides), teaching English lessons for ESL employees here on campus and participating in an honors co-ed fraternity. While I have gotten heavily involved and fallen head-over-heels for my school, it was by no means an easy path getting here.

Growing up in a family where both parents attended an elite university in the South, my childhood was filled with their stories, sports teams and allegiances. After applying early decision, I eventually came to realize that I was applying there simply because I had grown up in that culture and not because the school was truly the best fit for me. With family in Denver one summer, my parents convinced me to visit Boulder. I was reluctant yet little did I know that this would be my future home. Even after visiting, I ignored my excitement for CU in exchange for feelings of comfort with my parents' alma mater. However, when it came time to choose, I knew what was right for me. I felt completely at home at CU Boulder. All along, I said that I wasn't going to attend a big university or one with cold weather and yet here I am. So the moral is, keep your mind open. All those little checkboxes aren't nearly as important when you're at a school you love.

Coming from the South, I never quite felt like I fit in. I went to a small high school and was surrounded by the same people for years. While I loved them, I was ready to branch out. I came to Colorado not knowing anyone and that inspired me to push myself. I got involved in the activities that truly interested me. CU Boulder is special for allowing you to delve into what you love most and surrounding you with people who will help you go as far as you want and can. While I love the people, place and opportunities, I also treasure the feeling I get every time I walk to class and see the breathtaking Flatirons. I might be from Tennessee but CU Boulder has become my second home.

Rachel Yen

Rachel Yen
Media Studies & Spanish, 2020