By

Good morning, Future Buffs! You are embarking on a stressful, overwhelming and exciting journey at this very moment. Choosing the right college for you can seem impossible; you have countless options and considerations as you beginning submitting applications and essays. As a student, I can relate to your emotions and doubts as you continue the application process. If you are an out-of-state perspective student, I am here to help you gain clarity and perspective on life at CU Boulder. I am from Providence, Rhode Island, which is approximately 1,500 miles from Boulder, Colorado. Intrigued? Allow me to outline your experience here at CU and tell you why I chose to start my academic journey across the country!

Q: Where are you from?

A: I was born and raised in a suburb of Providence, Rhode Island. I am a true-blue East Coast girl; I love to ski, hike and go to the beach. I live on the coast of Rhode Island and until jet-setting to Colorado, I have never been without access to a body of water. I was very intimidated!

Q: Why did you choose CU as an out-of-state perspective student?

A: During my junior year of high school, I took a campus tour of CU and I immediately fell in love with this university. Campus, nestled at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, is picturesque. Don’t believe me? See for yourself and schedule a campus tour at www.colorado.edu/campustours. The idea of packing up my belongings and moving across the country intrigued me and I have never regretted my decision. My fellow classmates are from across the country and around the world; I have an entirely new perspective of the rest of the United States! There is always a friendly face on campus willing to help in a pinch and the faculty around campus and extremely accommodating. Since stepping foot on campus, I have felt entirely at home and apart of a large and spirited community.

boulder

Q: Do you ever get homesick?

A: I will admit that there are days where I long to be back home in Rhode Island with my family. However, this is not just an out-of-state problem. Students from all over the country, including Colorado, get homesick from time to time while living on campus. The key to overcoming homesickness is staying busy, maintaining good physical and mental health and confiding in friends and faculty. College is full of “high and low” emotions; Colorado students are not immune to this!

Q: What is your favorite part of CU?

A: I love being apart of the PAC-12 athletic conference here at CU! Buffs are a spirited group; you will always see students decked out in black and gold. My classes are both interesting and hands-on, which will prepare me for the workforce after (eek!) graduation. CU Boulder is a spirited community that will provide you with the skills to succeed. From Boulder Bound to Forever Buffs, CU will always be your second home, no matter where you are from.

ralphie

I hope that these answers helped you gain clarity while making this difficult and exciting decision! Allow yourself to weigh your options and do research. Touring campus will give you a glimpse of what it is like to be a Buff, utilize this opportunity! Good luck, Class of 2021! Will you be #BoulderBound?