Macky AuditoriumDid you know that CU-Boulder has a concert hall? Did you know that said concert hall is gorgeous and that the musical performances there are brilliant and very often free for student?

When I first started classes at CU-Boulder, I made the mistake of limiting my scope within the university. I lived in Buckingham hall, which is on the far south east end of campus (it’s in the Kittridge side of the university, which is kind of on the outskirts of the university). I lived in a RAP dorm, which meant that a few of my classes were in my residence hall. I made sure to schedule other classes so that I didn’t have to walk very far. It’s pretty embarrassing to admit, but I even dropped a class second semester because it was on the other end of campus and I didn’t want to walk very far in the mornings. While this did help my freshman year laziness, it kept me from really exploring certain areas of the beautiful CU campus. I didn’t even know that CU had a big concert hall the first year, because I had never walked by it before.

Don’t make my same mistake! Explore as much of the campus as you can and absolutely visit the concert venue, which is called Macky. You really can’t miss Macky, because the entrance looks more like a museum than an auditorium. Like much of the CU buildings, the architecture is beautiful. The inside is even more glamorous, with the décor reminiscent of a different era…cheesy description aside it really is a beautiful venue. I was in the women’s chorus my junior year, and was fortunate enough to perform our Christmas program in Macky. In addition, there are also different musical performances throughout the year ranging from wind ensembles to string quartets. Did I mention that most are free to students? No? Well, they are. Imagine a state of the art performance down the street of your dorm that you don’t have to pay for.  It’s not all music either. Last month, Edward Snowden (yes, that Edward Snowden) did a video conference with CU students from the hall. Other big names to visit include Bill Nye and Neil deGrasse Tyson. These events usually fill up fast though, so I highly recommend visiting the Macky website at http://www.colorado.edu/macky/home to stay up to date with concert dates. Don’t let these amazing opportunities take you by surprise like I did my freshman year.

Lia

Lia Peulen