Lia in ParisI have never been one to stay in one place for very long. One of the most beautiful things in life (in my humble opinion) is to explore new places. Being completely lost is an adventure, and I try to do so as often as possible.  I absolutely love traveling, and have been fortunate thus far to get to see a wide variety of places. I have been to Europe a few times, but would also love to see more of the world. One of the things on my bucket list is to step foot on every continent. ..so two down, five to go!

The hardest part of traveling, by far, is planning your trip. If you are broke like I am, it may seem daunting to travel anywhere. Plane rides are expensive, and forking over a good chunk of your paycheck for hotels is demoralizing to say the least. Fear not though, my fellow cheapskates! I am learning more and more that travel is possible…even for those of us who don’t think that they can afford it.

The first suggestion that I have is to broaden your idea of what an adventure away really is. Sure, we all think big and imagine going to Paris and Italy for a trip, but there are local places that can be just as exciting. If I am ever feeling restless, I make an effort to find somewhere in state that I have never been before. That could be somewhere in the mountains, or even down the street in Louisville. There isn’t a set milestone for getting away, and I have found that day trips can be an exciting adventure. Bonus: you don’t have to worry about hotels! Some airline companies such as Frontier also have cheap deals if you ever feel like flying somewhere. My boyfriend and I recently took a day trip to Dallas (yes, the Texas one). We caught a flight at 6am, and were back in Denver by 10pm. The tickets were $100 roundtrip for TWO people! It was a fun, quick little adventure. For those who are itching to get a little further away, I highly recommend the website studentuniverse.com. There, you can find discounted flights, hotels, etc…for students specifically. I saved a ton of money on my trip to Paris through that website. Once abroad, there are other ways to get around too. I spent a good deal of my time in Europe in hostels, which were waaaayyy cheaper than hotels. Most of them are clean and well-kept too, so you don’t have to worry about sacrificing comfort for a good deal.

I think that one of the biggest misconceptions about traveling is that it is unaffordable. While it definitely can be expensive, it really isn’t terrible if you are smart and plan ahead. Think about how much you spend on coffee or going out every week. It’s not something that you really think about, but small purchases can really add up. Maybe instead of Starbucks one day, you put that $5 away in a travel fund. I guarantee that little things add up and who knows…you could be on your way in no time.

Lia

Lia Peulen