Cassandra and her dogAs graduation looms, I am getting more and more excited about the possibilities I have. Being the planner I am, though, I have a lot to do before I feel ready for the next step in my life.

Here are a few of the things that are on my mind to prepare for graduating:

• (Somehow) keep my grades up: This is by far the most difficult thing to do. Senioritis is very real and very powerful. I really want to just hang out with my friends, go to fun places, and nap. And, trust me, overcoming that has been an adventure. Now that I’m in my final stretch, I only have so far to go to be able to make my grades look how I want them to look.
  • Taking graduation pictures: This is a minor thing that has become a major thing for me because apparently, there are thousands of other people graduating at the same time as me (go figure) so the photographers in the Boulder area were booked early. My friend and I spent actual hours calling places and trying to find an available time. Luckily, we found someone amazing and in our price range. It’s the small things that bring me joy.
  • Spending time with people who I won’t see as much after graduation: Maybe this is a particular case for me, because I have a lot of younger and international friends. But, I think you’ll find it to be the case with anyone. Leaving behind people can feel weird, but one way to remedy that is to spend time with them while you can and enjoy their presence. You can always keep in touch after graduation, but there’s nothing like being around people you care about.
  • And finally, living up life as a student while you can: Being an undergraduate is an experience like no other. To some extent, you have control over your schedule and your activities. When I think of the perks, I think of all the time I have with my dog that I will not have in two months. I also think of the classes that I take that I will leave behind. I know the real world will be awesome, but there’s nothing like being a student.

Cassandra

Cassandra Duchan