Published: March 29, 2016

Harper and friends at a football gameI knew I was BoulderBound after I took a second campus tour. Yes, the second time around was the charm. The second tour got me very excited to explore such a beautiful, huge (but consolidated) campus. The first tour I took was during my junior year of high school, during the month of January—the campus was beautiful (as always) covered in snow, but freezing cold… I wasn’t sure I wanted to walk through that much snow on my walk to class every day. BUT here we are, in the middle of February, and the weather is sunny and beautiful as ever! We also were given two snow days this year—it doesn’t get much better than that!

I had lived in Colorado for the past three years, but my mind was all over the country (and one school in Canada) on where I wanted to attend college. There were a lot of options for my major—then English, now Journalism—so I was trying to decide which school would be most beneficial for both my academic and personal growth. I had visited Boulder a few times beforehand, but never really explored the campus or the surrounding city.

I can’t say there was one moment in particular that lead me to choose CU-Boulder. For me, it was like falling in love—slowly at first, then all at once (please excuse the John Green quote). My campus tour guide was friendly and answered all of our questions—his insight was a big factor in my decision. I liked the C4C Dining hall too—so many different stations and options!

I thoroughly enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of Norlin quad, where people napped on the grass or played fetch with their dogs as we walked between classes (I still love that). I loved what little I knew of the diverse culture of Boulder—I knew that it would take me out of my comfort zone a little, and I was eager to explore this charming new place. It also helped to know that my family was just an hour car or bus ride away—just in case I needed them.

I knew I was BoulderBound when I could see myself thriving in this environment. Life at CU-Boulder feels warm (the majority of the time), safe and exciting all at the same time. There are so many different people, ideas and opportunities. I have made some of the best friends and memories of my life here in just a little over a year, while also receiving an excellent education that is leading me to a better future. Not to mention the perks of living on “The Hill” or the year-round outdoor activities with breathtaking views. I certainly wouldn’t want to be anywhere else!

(Additional note AKA pro-tip: Kittredge has awesome dorms. Buckingham is one of the friendliest and most welcoming dorms on campus with the coolest people. I am only a little biased.)

Harper

Harper Brown
Sophomore