Published: March 16, 2016

Lia wearing a CU shirtI knew I was BoulderBound when I took my second tour of the university.

It’s not that I wasn’t impressed when I came to CU's campus for the first time, but I was pretty overwhelmed by the idea of college in general, making it hard for me to be excited. The campus was also ginormous, which made me even more nervous.

But let me back up, if you didn’t already know, I grew up in Centennial, Colorado (which is just south of Denver). I went to school at Cherry Creek High School (any Creekers out there?) and knew after high school that I wanted to stay in state for college. I toured and applied to the following schools in addition to CU-Boulder: Colorado State University, Denver University and the University of Northern Colorado. After getting into all of my choices, I was stuck with one of my toughest choices: where was I going to spend the next four years in school?

It may not seem like it when you are applying, but the location of your school and how much you love the town that it’s in is almost as important as the school itself. Yes, you’ll be in classes and on campus for a majority of your time, but your life is going to exist outside of school as well. Is there anything else to do off campus? Can you get there without a car? What do you want to be able to do for fun on a weekend or when you have a break from class? These are questions that I never really considered before, and they definitely weren’t listed on any application, brochure or campus counseling site.

The fact of the matter is that you are picking a new home for the next four years when you are looking at schools. That is one of the main reasons that I decided to confirm to CU-Boulder so many years ago (it seems like forever ago!)…I absolutely love Boulder.

When I visited campus a second time, I visited Boulder as well. I walked up and down Pearl Street, hiked Chautauqua and really explored this new city that was to be my home. I love the energy here, and love that it is so easy to get places from campus. I fell in love with Boulder so much, that I know I want to come back here someday. It’s kind of crazy to think that one decision four years ago could make such as huge impact on my life, but it really has. I am so happy with my decision to be BoulderBound, and I hope that you feel the same if you decide to make Boulder your home too.

Lia

Lia Peulen