Published: March 8, 2016

Book coverDo you love discussing literature with other literary lovers? Join the club! Lukas Devries, the meeting leader of the club, gave me some insight into what it was all about.

"What I love about Lit Buffs is that I get to meet brilliant, creative people from all sorts of majors and that I'm able to interact with in very fun ways.  I can't tell you how much feedback I've gotten for my fiction and poetry, how many new ideas they've given me, and at the end of the day what friends I've made." –Lukas DeVries

Lit Buffs have two meetings every week, centered around casual discussion of literature. Sundays we meet at Innisfree Café on Pennsylvania and Broadway (across the street from Hale Science) from 1:30-3:00p.m., and Mondays they meet at the Mabel van Duzee room in Norlin Library (4th floor, north side) from 4:00-5:00p.m.

The main event the club is doing this semester will be in the latter half of April; Poet Malcolm London is coming in from Chicago, to read his work, talk about his process, his views on race relations and beyond, so on and so on. The club is organizing this event with the Black Student Alliance and the English Undergrad Council, and possibly other groups/clubs on campus that are interested. There will be way more advertising beforehand—but you heard it here first, folks!

The main reason to come to Lit Buffs meetings is like what I've said above, we're all about being a social and creative outlet for people who like books and writing and general nerdy stuff altogether. You can come to talk, get work critiqued, unwind and be yourself. It sometimes gets difficult for some students to connect with others, you know? The subjects of our meetings shift around, from doing writing while listening to music to themed discussions and so on. We also try to organize little events by demand, like helping high school students with essay-writing or doing poetry readings at retirement homes, though we've only done that a few times so far. It's good to try to get people out of their shells. Essentially, it's just a good place for a bit of smart fun.

I don’t know about you guys, but if you need me from 4:00-5:00p.m. on Mondays, I’ll be discussing literature in Norlin. Come and have some good old fashioned fun!

Harper

Harper Brown
Sophomore