Published: Feb. 15, 2016

Winter days in BoulderI’m from Denver, so I thought I would be ready to live in Boulder during the winters. I was so wrong. For some reason, Boulder cold is a particular kind of cold that I was unprepared for when I first moved here. My winter clothing consisted of mostly cute, thin leather boots and thin down jackets. Subsequently, my first Boulder snow storm was slightly traumatic.

But, worry not, I have tips to help you through your first Boulder winter more successfully than I did.

Here’s a list of what you need:

• Snow boots with nice traction. After it snows in Boulder, it’s nice to have a warm pair of boots for when you want to romp in the snow. Luckily, the snow melts pretty quickly here because it’s so sunny. Unfortunately, with snowmelt comes ice on the walkways. Ice will typically be low on campus because they do a good job maintaining it, but if you go literally anywhere else in Boulder, you will come into contact with ice. If you lack coordination like me, you will fall on this ice if you don’t have shoes that help you through it. Snow boots will keep you warm, and will also keep you safe from falling in the snow aftermath (and possibly embarrassing situations).
  • Insulated gloves. I tried to play in the snow with rather thin, but cute, fuzzy mittens here, and it was basically like wearing nothing on my hands. I could not feel them for a little bit. The gloves you wear may or may not make the difference between having fun making a snowman and turning into Frosty the Snowman yourself. Investing in a good pair of gloves was the best decision I made.
  • Earmuffs. I know that earmuffs aren’t the coolest, but they are life changing. I hate hats because I have a giant head with giant hair, so they don’t fit me well. After finding earmuffs I burned all of my hats. Okay, that was dramatic, but if you like to keep your hair from getting staticy but want to protect your ears from falling off, earmuffs are the way to go.

Boulder winters are now my favorite time of year because campus and the Flatirons are even more gorgeous when they’re covered in snow. But if you want to enjoy being outside in all of its beauty, I suggest gearing up for the weather!

Cassandra

Cassandra Duchan