Published: Feb. 12, 2016

Recycling at CU-BoulderUnless you’ve been living under a rock, you are probably aware that CU-Boulder prides itself on being a pretty green university. I remember coming here and seeing the recycle bins separated out for the first time and I was completely shocked. It was such a new concept, even coming from Denver. I probably stared at the bins like an idiot for a good 5 mins or so, trying desperately to decide whether my cardboard lunch tray counted as a container or paper product.

In all honesty though, CU-Boulder’s green reputation was one of the aspects that drew me here in the first place. I am very passionate about the environment, and believe that we should invest in new, green technology. We only have one planet, and I believe that it is our responsibility to take care of it. Actually, when I first started at CU-Boulder I was an environmental studies major. Though I liked the environmental science classes, I ultimately decided that that degree wasn’t for me, and switched into Leeds. While at Leeds, I faced a bit of a moral dilemma: Did I just sacrifice everything that I believed in and sell my soul for a better job outlook?

Never fear, prospective business majors. Despite what you may hear, taking classes at the B-school does not have to mean that your only concern and drive is to make money. One program that I am very fond of is called GreenBiz. GreenBiz is a corporate wide organization that seeks to provide helpful information on ways that different businesses can make smarter environmental decisions. Like it or not, being more energy efficient, for example, is smart because it saves both money and the planet. Greenbiz, in my opinion, is a perfect blend between corporate life and environmental advocacy.

So it turns out I don’t have to give up on my dreams of helping to save the planet after all!

Lia

Lia Peulen